Twenty Five

-Vincenzo-

Pain. That was all I could feel. Pain.

I was assuming I was on some kind of medication but nothing seemed to be working. I was in so much pain in my chest and abdomen, that I almost wanted to give up.

'Don't give up, hold on' is what Mia said. She hadn't been talking to me in ages and I could only hear her angelic voice when she was talking with someone else in the room.

Her voice was slightly hoarse and she sounded tired, as though she hadn't slept in days. Her voice would crack and she would cry whenever I heard her. I wanted to hold her in my arms and comfort her but I couldn't.

I felt so exhausted and my body felt heavy. I couldn't move as much as I tried and when she asked me to squeeze her hand, I had to use all my energy just for a small squeeze. It was hard and I didn't think I was going to be able to do it but I did and I heard the happiness in her voice.

I didn't think that I deserved to live. I hit Mia - I hit the love of my life. I sniffed so much drugs to calm myself but all it did was make matters worse. What kind of man was I? How could I slap her?

The look on her face hurt me so bad. I had never felt so guilty and disgusted with myself in my entire life. Who was I?

When she told me she hated me, I knew I deserved it but it felt like a stab each time she said it. It hurt so much but I was horrible. It was no wonder she was angry. I didn't deserve her.

I had been regaining more energy though in the last few days. I felt lighter and slightly better but I still felt exhausted and wasn't quite ready to wake up. My body wasn't letting me move. I wasn't even sure of what happened. I knew I was in a hospital but what happened to me? Was I shot or something? Either way, my body ached.

I needed to rest and get better - get better for Mia.

She needed me.

-Mia-

I abruptly sat up, beads of cold sweat all over me as I gasped. I wiped my forehead, trying to control my breathing pattern. I had my hand on my chest, as it rapidly rose and fell. I wiped my tears and sniffed before sighing.

I had another nightmare about that horrible argument between me and Vincenzo, however this time, he bled to death and his hazel eyes were widen open and gazing into mine as his soul left his body. I was freaked out and still felt claustrophobic due to the fact that I was locked in a small room in my dream and haunted by Vincenzo's ghost.

I said a prayer before slipping out my bed and going into the kitchen. I was no longer living at the maid's house, Valentina didn't want me to feel alone so she persuaded me to stay at the Rossi house so she could keep an eye on me.

I grabbed a glass of water and drank it, the cold liquid slowly sliding down my throat, making me feel cold inside. I sighed, rubbing my forehead. I had a headache so I decided to take some paracetamol.

What was the amount to take again? I asked myself as I looked at the packet that was out of it's small box.
Three? No. . Two? . .maybe . .

I wasn't thinking straight and didn't want to make any big decisions so I only took one and walked back upstairs, passing April's room and stopped, noticing that her bed was empty. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused.