Chapter 68: The A Way To Hell

Începe de la început

Holbrook is still in his police uniform. He must’ve been working when Annie called him. He is slightly red around the cheeks and his chest is rising and falling with the speed of light.

He stands up gently as Annie pulls back and wipes her face. I guess, that’s when he notices me. Standing in the corner, against a wall, just watching him.

I am resigned.

I am not use to this family business.

“What happened? “ he says gently, looking back between Annie and I. I stare at Annie because I have no right to say anything. Everything comes from her now and she knows by the look I give her.

She looks at me once more and says, “I’ll have a new life, from now on, right?”

My eyes flick towards Holbrook briefly before I nod slightly. He is unstable.

I can see Annie contemplate before she turns towards Holbrook and tells him then story about Noel Kahn forcing her to be in the A team. But she is very careful to leave out the part about what Noel did to her.

I understand her.

She wants to forget what happened and she finally can with what she is about to do. Change her identity.

I can respect that.

I watch is Holbrook’s face tenses as the story goes on. His fist clench next and I’m afraid he is going to break through the floor.

Then he says, “I’m going to kill Noel Kahn,” with so much venom and hate that I want to laugh and cry.

But all I do is sigh, look towards the window and say, “He’s already dead.”’

That’s how you get Gabriel Holbrook’s attention.

I continue, “Wesley followed me when I went to confront him. He shot him.”

Holbrook kind of just looks and stares at me for a few seconds before his face morphs into complete and utter rage. Then he charges at me.

And I’m standing there completely and utterly shocked when he wraps himself around me and embraces me in a fierce hug.

“Oh my god,” he mutters against my hair, “You are such an idiot.”

I stand there as a wave of shivers course through my body. Then he slowly slips his hand around my waist and grabs my hand to hold in his.

I can’t breathe.

Out in the distance Annie murmurs something along to lines of, “Geez guys, why don’t you guys kiss already?”

Holbrook pulls back so his hand is still around mine but he is facing Annie. His eyes gleam teasingly towards mine, “We already have.”

Drop dead.

I don’t think Annie expected that answer because she kind of just looks at us and all I can do is stare at Holbrook and hope my legs don’t drop me to the floor.

“That was uncalled for,” I say back weakly, my breath gone like I just ran a marathon.

His hand tightens around mine.

“Well, maybe you shouldn’t have left last night,” he says with lust and a pirate smile.

I am staring at his lips.

I’m going to hell.

I quickly pull my hand out of his and take a couple of steps away. Oh god, he is doing what he did when he first asked me out. I quickly shake the thoughts out of my mind just enough to look out the window and see my lovely grandmother staring back at me.