Chapter 26: Uncalled For

He stood still

“What?” He whispered in disbelief.

I glanced away and shoved my hands into my pocket, “ If you didn’t come back we, each of us, would have been in safer hands Wesley. I successfully erased my evidence, and you did not. They will look for you. They have your blood. They’ll find you. I...can’t be there when they find you. I can’t risk this.”

He stared at me. “I don’t know why I ever thought you would care.”

I finally looked at him, “There isn’t any time to care Wes.”

He looked at me thoroughly, analysing ever detail. He stepped forward and pulled a card out of his pocket, “I know who the All Black is. Come and find me when you’ve sucked up your damn pride.”

Then he pivoted on his foot and left.

I stood there gaping at him as he left like he hadn’t obtained any injury at all. He grabbed onto the buildings side railing and climbed until he disappeared over the roof. My heart prodded at me and then died off.

I looked at the card he had handed to me.

A plain phone number was scrawled over it. One that I didn’t even know.

I flipped out my phone quickly, not waiting to see what he had given me. I dialled in the numbers and held the phone up to my ears as it started to ring. Then I decided that hiding out in an alleyway was more suspicious then walking by so I stepped out of the dark.

The phone picked up.

“Love, I doubt that you’ve sucked up all your damn pride in roughly about five minutes,” Wesley replied. “I should’ve known you would call as soon as you could, but I’m not in the best position right now. I have to go und-“

“I hope you haven’t forgotten about our contract,” I cut in. More out of shock and confusion of what was happening.

“Couldn’t if I tried Alice. Couldn’t if I tried,” he whispered but you could smell the smirk roaming around underneath it. “When you call, I will be there.”

“Then tell me who the hell is All Black so I can wring he or she’s neck out?”

“Okay, I lied,” he laughed but he obviously didn’t find it too funny. “I don’t know who it is. But I do have a clue that could help.”

“Spill it out then.”

“A note was shoved in my hand with the address : 36 Van Allen Street”

“The Police Station.”

“Yup. Anyway, I must get going. Anymore questions?”

If he was here I would look at him with disbelief. I said the first thing that popped into my mind.

“Your reaction was uncalled for back here,” I said, referring to just a few moments ago.

“It’s not my fault you make me entirely mad,” he laughed. “I love you and you don’t love me. That should bother me a lot. But you can learn to love me and that’s one thing I know you will do. You will learn to love me Alice.”