Chapter 46: Forget A

There were two pills out the bedside table, which I popped into my mouth and swallowed without water.

A cool breeze had worked its way up through my limbs quietening the pain from my bruises and cuts. It wasn’t as bad as before. It definitely wasn’t as bad as before. I could’ve fallen off roofs a thousand times over and It wouldn’t have felt that bad.

The sun streaming into the room acknowledged the time to be around 8:00am. It was still the break of another day.

I managed to sit myself up without grimacing and slowly pull myself towards the edge of the bed.

I winced.

Just, stand up Alice. Stop being a child. I chastised myself. I had never shown weakness and here I was conveying it all at once to the one person I didn’t want ever to think I could be weak.

He knew better.

He hadn’t come back after fixing up my wounds and I don’t think I could face him if he did. I could keep emotions off my face but not with him.

I stood up.

I nearly fell down. The pain was excruciating and tears jumped into my eyes immediately. I rearranged myself so I was leaning on the bed side table first before I took my first step.

Once I was moving, the pain was easier to ignore. I managed to inch my way towards the door and then slowly out the doorway into the kitchen where I heard a soft clank of pots and pans.

I leaned against what seemed to be the pantry and watched as Holbrook, with his back facing me, rummaged around the kitchen, pulling out saucers and flipping eggs.

“You shouldn’t be up.”

I didn’t hear him till a few seconds after.

“I would like to leave,” I said.

He ignored me, “Coffee or Tea?”

He flipped the egg onto the plate and moved over to the wooden 4 seat table that was on the other side of the kitchen bench. He put the plate down and moved away.

I took a deep breath and dragged myself towards the table, sitting down in the chair. The pain was still tingling in my fingers when I sat down. A few moments after I was joined with a cup of tea. I nodded in a thanks and stared down at my plate while Gabriel continued in the kitchen,

“So, you’re a chef now?” I said lightly.

He came back with his plate and sat opposite to me. His eyes hard transformed into rock, “I think it’s time I deserved an explanation.”

“I can’t explain how you are a chef now, Holbrook,” I said, shoving a piece of omelette in my mouth.

“Don’t play stupid with me, Alice. I’m serious. I am over this and I need to know,” Holbrook said.

I leaned back. Ouch.

I sighed, putting down my fork. “I don’t think you deserve an explanation.”

He raised an eyebrow, surprised. “Why is that?”

“I didn’t come here to involve you. You don’t need an explanation because you have nothing to do with it.”

He laughed a dry burning laugh. “ I’m drowning in this already. It won’t help if you continue to hide things from me.”

I growled, frustrated, “Why are you acting like you actually have an input in all of this? You left. You missed an opportunity. That’s the end of it.”

Well, it was more like I refused for him to get involved.

A flash of a pained look rocketed through his face. I had shot him in the heart by mentioning his leaving.

“I’ve already told you my feelings about what I did. But that shouldn’t hide who we were.”

“Why are you acting like this?” I said frustrated. “I put a gun to your sisters head. I could’ve pulled the trigger. I would’ve pulled trigger. Why do you care about me!”

He stood up and yelled, “I thought I could forgot about you okay? I thought I could hate you for putting a gun to my sister’s head. I thought I could forgive myself for leaving you. I thought I could forget how much you meant to me. But I can’t. You walked into this town and when I saw you I couldn’t.”

I stared at him.

No. No this couldn’t be happening.

Tears sprung to my eyes and I was up walking away from him. “What did I do wrong? I did everything to keep you away from me. “

Tell him you love him Alice.

“Well obviously, you didn’t do enough.”

It wasn’t Gabriel who said that. It was his sister, Annie, who stood in the corner smirking at us

However, what surprised me the most was Gabriel’s reaction to Annie. He didn’t try to arrange himself or straighten his posture or act surprised that his sister’s near murderer was in the room. His eyes just narrowed at Annie like he seemed to be watching her every move. “What are you doing Annie?

“You should tell her Gabriel, “ she said, smirking. “She’ll find out soon enough. You don’t want her to fall in love with you again if you could be the one she hates.”

---

I bet you didn't see that one coming? I bet you won't see a lot of things coming! Thanks for reading! Comment down below on what you think will happen next? What do you think Annie is suggesting at?