Chapter 48: Hold Him

It was like the weather had fallen ten degrees as soon as I stepped into the phone booth. The world was fire and I was ice. Forever and unmelting.

I had woken up behind a bush in front of the Rosewood Hospital. The pain was a reminder of every single moment that had gone down and the first thing I wanted to do was shoot myself in the head.

I had just fainted.

At the most crucial of moments.

I fainted.

That was enough for them to discard. No, him. Gabriel Holbrook. I should stop avoiding the inevitable. I should stop avoiding the fact that Gabriel Holbrook is part of the A team.

Oh lord.

There are so many moments I question in my head now. So many things. And then there is this undying hatred at the back of my throat towards the A team and I just, I just reach for the phone.

I look like a hell angel. The reflection in the phone booth agrees with me. A long sleeve top that barely does anything to keep me warm. Still torn in places where kicks and arms hand landed. A present from Jason Dilaruentous.

I tried to kill him once. I also tried to kiss him once.

I think I know which one he remembers more.

I have never felt so alone in the world. Not when I trudged through that damn house all those years. Only now.

My fingers are jabbing at numbers and a second later the receiver is at my ears and I am waiting for the phone to just ring and ring and ring.

“Hello?” The voice is agitated and laced with desperate sadness with a hint of familiarity.

“Wes?” I say, it’s barely a whisper.

The lines silent apart of a shaky breath.

Then he says the next words like he is so heart broken and just gone, but determined.

“I’m coming.”

***

I think I’m shivering.

Is this what this feeling is?

A car is screeching down the road; blue.

The car swings onto the side of the road and he is out and then holding me in his arms.

I’m crying into his arms and he is just stroking my hair and shaking himself. Like the world has just scared Wesley Fitz and all I can do is scare him more.