Chapter 66: Silence Is The Storm

I know for a fact that my whole body is shaking and I am drenched in sweat and Noel Kahn is cowering and Wesley has a gun pointed at him while I have one pointed on him.

But Wesley isn’t looking at Noel anymore.

I’ve distracted him too much.

My aim is hopeless and I can’t control the fear that courses in my veins enough to steady myself and pull the trigger.

I guess that’s one reason I can’t pick the gun.

Wesley is watching me and not one single emotion is passing through his face while he watches me break down. Just break down on the spot.

I wonder if he can tell that I don’t want to do this.

A tear trickles down my face and I know for another fact that I can’t stop it. Because I am sure that I can pull the trigger, but I’m not sure if I can pull it on him.

And he looks at me like nothing and I am over. Because I release my grip around the gun and stare at Wesley while it falls to the floor.

And then Wesley shoots Noel Kahn in the head.

And I watch at that bullet makes its way around the room and penetrates into his skull. Six inches deep and into the mind of loathing bastard. And there is no doubt that my eyes are replaying the very scene over and over again but Annie’s here and we are at the scene of the crime scene and there are a lot of “ands” today.

Annie is screaming so I grab her and yank her towards the front doors as soon as I can. Before the classrooms open and the students come out if they hadn’t already.

My face starts streaking with water and I am trying so hard to ignore these emotions 

I spot Wesley’s car in the distance and order Annie to get into the passenger seat while I flip myself around the car to the drivers seat, buckle up and start the engine by the keys Wesley normally leaves attached to the car.

I back up out of the Car park without even looking back and in three seconds flat, Annie and I are on the road and then the highway.

I am shaking.

“Call your brother,” I am saying. “Tell him to meet us at the Ravenswood  GW barber shop.”

Annie is still whimpering but she hears me. She picks up her phone out of her pocket and dials his number.

He picks up on the third ring.

“Annie? What’s up?” his voice is calm. How are we going to break the storm?

Annie’s voice is shaking when she replies. Maybe it was a bad idea to let her talk.

“Gabriel,” she sobs, “Can you meet us at the barber shop in Ravenswood, as soon as possible?”

His voice inches up a couple of alarming knots in a second, “Oh my god Annie. Where are you? What’s wrong? Tell me what’s wrong. I’ll come and get you right now.”

“No,” she sobs, “I just really need you to listen, okay?”

He has lost it. “Don’t do anything,” he says. “I am coming right now.”

His breathing rate has broken scales. He is in full fledged panic mode.

“Alice is with me,” Annie says, “We are fine right now. I’ll meet you there okay? I have to go.”

“What?” There is surprise in Holbrooks voice. “What happened?”

It’s the first time I speak up, “It’s under control, Holbrook.”

And he knows that something terrible must’ve gone wrong when I use his last name. Holbrook begins shouting and Annie hangs up on in him immediately.

Then it’s silent.