Chapter 13: No.

3 year ago:

“Dammit Cece!”

I threw my phone against the wall of my room. It shattered into pieces and fell onto the floor. I kicked the remaining pieces and shoved them against the wall, leaving dents.

Then I walked over to the kitchen and dialled in the number I had memorised for the past 2 years into the home phone.

No answer.

I slammed the received down and held my head in my hands. I couldn’t breathe straight. I couldn’t even move without my hands shaking. I dialled in the number again and held the phone to my ears. No answer.

“Dammit Cece, I need more than that! You can’t just bloody hell send me a text so vague that I want to die. I need more than this. I need a conclusion. I can’t. I can’t keep living like this. I can-“

Ding dong.

The doorbell.

I ignored it.

Ding Dong.

I picked up the coat from the kitchen chair and slammed the receiver down. It was 2am at night and I couldn’t sleep. I couldn’t. I needed a resolution so badly that I just couldn’t move on.

I walked to the door and opened it.

Gabe was standing there, looking at me concerned. His brown hair was ruffled and his brown eyes just melted within me. “Are you alright? I saw the lights on from back at my house.”

His eyebrows furrowed in concern.

Gabe across the street next to my front door neighbours.

“Yeah,” I smiled instantly, “I’m fine.”

“You don’t look fine,” he whispered, looking past my shoulder into the house. I stood in front of his vision, blocking it from the emptiness of the house. His gaze was light my drowning in sweet concern. I couldn’t let him do that.

“What are you talking about?” I laughed, “Just watching a movie. Late nighters, you know?”

I think my hands were still shaking.

“You don’t like movies.”

His gaze wasn’t even fixed on me. He was trying to peer back into my house and I was trying to do my best to hide it from him. For some odd reason my hands instantly began to feel warm. I looked down for a second to see my wrist bleeding and hid my hands behind my back in the next second.

But the thing is, Gabe doesn’t miss flickers.