1.15 Acting Pitiful

There was sharp blaring sound piercing Qiu Yue's eardrums, blinding her. But even so she knew she had to get Meng Hui to safety, that stupid person had got hurt trying to protect her!

Why had he done that? For someone like her, putting himself in danger, he may not die but for a programmer, his hands were so important, even otherwise he could injure himself beyond repair, just stupid!

Yuan ZeXi felt like the world around him was disorienting and slow, seeing the familiar blonde fluffy hair being propped up by his boss. He was bleeding profusely from a tear in his sweater around his upper arm, and from the way his head was hanging the fall had knocked him out.
Yuan ZeXi was left in a frantic daze, he didn't understand what to do in this situation, he reached out for Meng Hui instinctively, gently held Meng Hui up against his chest.
The fire's heat was hitting them all hard and the rest of the electronics which still had power coursing through them were starting to spark dangerously.

Qiu Yue quickly shook her head at Yao Yan, assuring Yao Yan that she was fine and called the ambulance. They rushed downstairs with Yuan ZeXi holding Meng Hui. Meng Hui was unconscious and still, and Qiu Yue was very worried about the extent of the injury caused by the blast.

"Put him down flat on the ground on his stomach, don't move him much. Don't touch anything in his wound."

Qiu Yue said quickly taking the bandages and gloves out of medical kit they kept on each floor. Qiu Yue had no experience with medicine but she had taken a course on first aid, mostly to help herself, she hadn't ever used it on anyone else.

As Qiu Yue was the only one who was calm she first put on the gloves to minimize contact with the gauze and then ripped apart the packaging to take out the gauze bandage. She then placed it on his lower back where there was huge laceration in order to keep the pressure on it to reduce bleeding.

But the bleeding wasn't getting as slow needed, while it had reduced it was still not to the point of being okay. They couldn't wash the wound and as there could still be shards or projectiles in it and it had to be kept as it was.

It had been less five minutes to the explosion when Huo Zi fang burst into the lobby and rushed towards Qiu Yue immediately checking her for wounds or cuts and asking her if she felt okay. When he had heard about the explosion his heart had stopped, for a moment he had felt so shaken he had lost sense, even after that all he could do was run to her. Fear, fear had engulfed him, keeping him from being able to think of anything other than Qiu Yue and lots of blood.

Zhou Jia evacuated everyone else while they waited for the fire truck and the ambulance. The fire had spread violently, there was no doubt that this incident was major news. But none of them had the opportunity to think about that, seeing Meng Hui scared a lot of them to death, seeing Qiu Yue keep calm and handle it was even scarier. Wasn't it normal for a person to panic in these circumstances? Qiu Yue knew panic once but after that time she hadn't been allowed to experience it.

"Too irresponsible."
Wasn't that what she'd hear?

But something was different this time. There was someone next to her, and the way he made her feel was different. So why couldn't she completely open up to him?

Yuan ZeXi rode on the ambulance with Meng Hui, while Huo Zi Feng drove Qiu Yue to the hospital to get her checked, he wanted to make sure she didn't have any serious injuries.

Meng Hui was taken in for surgery while Qiu Yue underwent the required tests. Huo Zi Feng was told to his relief that she was physically fine, other than the cuts on her body. She was given a tetanus shot in order to prevent any infection.

But this wasn't good news to Qiu Yue. She should have been the one protecting Meng Hui, it was her responsibility, her fault!
Instead, Meng Hui was hurt and she didn't know the extent of that either, while she was unhurt. If she had gotten hurt too then maybe she wouldn't have to deal with the restlessness and guilt she felt. Worry was eating her up, this had always been her proficient point - running scenarios with bad endings, each worse than the other.
Qiu Yue's eyes were shut tight as she went through the storm of thoughts in her head. Her hands clenched tightly as her nails dug into her skin such that she could feel the thin vessels pump her blood against them.