*26*

WARNING: BLOOD, GORE, SELF HARM, SO MUCH ANGST oof

Micheal used to be normal. He used to be a dashing young man. Brown hair, goofy smile, tan skin. Now, well... he shivered. He was a shell of his former self.

He sighed as he walked through the cave. He glanced at the statues. Men and women alike. Some reaching out, others screaming for mercy. He passed on, because he had to.

All the statues told a story.

One were two man, guards man, sneers of terror painted on their faces for eternity. One held a spear, holding back his hand to prevent the inevitable. Shielding the smaller man who was just reaching for his spear when a hand was turned to stone around his own.

He looked up in shock, and then froze. Such an act of innocent meaningless sorrow. To be trapped in a saving grace. An angel that cursed you're freedom. Irony has the cruelest sense of humor.

Yet another statue was passed. This, two lovely maids, they were young and vibrant. The peak of their breasts standing up against their shirts in a chill. The lines on their cold faces froze in horror and weight.

These girls were bathing by the lagoon. Laughing and having an easy time. It was all wiped away as they both heard a snap and looked to find true hideousness. Michael could only imagine, but he didn't want to.

He went deeper into the cave. He passed a girl holding a mirror and crying, a boy cowering behind a tree, and a girl who was screaming. Finally he came to the room he wanted.

The walls were dark, faded with running water and dampness of years. In the center stood only a man. He was Michaels age, and he was holding his hands out, as if to embrace a lover. Michael walked up cautiously as if the man could return with rosy cheeks and dark hair. With the lovely blue eyes heaven could never compete with. Lips as red as cherries and as soft as rose petals.

Michael could smell the faintness of the soap and the thickness of the leather of the mans shoes. He wore a simple toga made from silk and flowing lace.

Michael walked into the statues arms, cold, but if Michael closed his eyes he could feel warm, safe. He could feel the statue breathe as if it was sighing too.

"I'm so sorry Jeremy." Michael said, choking back a sob. He kissed the statues cheek, his tear shattering on the floor. It rang across the room, joining the other shattered pieces of Michael's grief.

"I love you." Michael's voice rose to meet another's who wasn't there. He slowly separated himself and  approached a puddle that gathered in the room. He peered in and held his breath. He had a pit of wreathing snakes for his hair and pale green skin. He looked sickly. He hissed at his own reflection.

Ugly terrible curse. Only for what, insulting a God? Yet here he was. More tears fell as he pulled out the jagged knife. He had been waiting for the perfect day.

He walked back to his Jeremy. He kissed his lips once, twice, and a last lingering time. He was searching for a reason, for something to give. Nothing.

He sighed and held the knife to his chest. He thought better of it for a moment, and lowered the blade. However, after all the suffering of others, Michael could not stop. He slowly, agonizingly pushed the blade into his gut. Stifling a cry of pain and biting his lip so hard blood flowed.

His vision swam and he thought he saw Jeremy move. He embraced the frozen man with the last strength he had, before crumping to the floor. The room went still.

A Godess, a beautiful maiden with long flowing hair slowly walked through the cave. The morning light slowly filtering in as she walked down into the depths.

She passed many statues, but payed no mind to them, she walked to where the gorgons yell was heard. Where she knew she needed to be. She entered the damp room, the smell of rot and blood sickened the room.

For there stood a statue, a man reaching. And there at its feet was a monster who was dead. The Godess clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth in disappointment, then vanished. There was nothing more here anyway.

———————
Bee here
Wow it's been a while. Sorry for not posting folks, but thank you for going through this and giving the likes and comments that make my day! I love you guys! Keep being awesome 😎

- 🐝