The Life Changing Answer

I couldn't scream 'yes' loud enough over the hysteria around me. 

I didn't know how to react at first, but the woman gave a quick nod, and I let her grab my wrist and lead me. I didn't even have time to tell Jessica what was happening, because before I knew it I was being dragged by my wrist toward the stage. The lights were flashing and it was sort of strobe-ing (if that's even a word). It was hard to see, and it was actually really hard to navigate through the screaming girls.  Thankfully, none of them seemed to notice us or what we were doing, so they weren't bombarding us. We were walking towards the side of the stage, and we approached a gated off area where a few tough looking men with 'Security' written in huge white letters on their shirts were standing. The women finally let go of my wrist.

"Don't go anywhere!" She shouted to me.

"Not a problem!" I said, but she probably didn't hear me. She was on her was to talk to one of the guards. Even though they were only about 5 feet away from me, the craziness of the crowds and the flashing lights made it seem further away. 

The woman said something that I obviously couldn't make out into a a bald guard's ear, and he looked me up and down before nodding. He stepped a few feet out of the way to reveal a door.

Backstage.

That's when it finally sunk in. I was going to go onstage. At a One Direction concert. The boys...were going to SING to ME. Oh my freakin gosh. WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?! I began to get light headed, and it must have been visible. The woman rolled her eyes at me as she walked back toward t=me to grab my wrist again.

"Come on, princess."

She lead me through the door, to reveal people going absolutely crazy. There were shouts from every direction. Some people were stressing about the lighting, there were some dancers who apparently had on the wrong costume, big men with walkie-talkies marched out of every corner and corridor. 

So this is what goes on backstage at a concert?

I think it was safe to say that the chaos backstage was almost as bad as the chaos in the crowd. Well...maybe not. 

Another rather large man approached me and interupted my trance. He had a walkie-talkie, and he seemed like the only one who wasn't freaking out about the situation. He smiled at me-the kind of smile that made you feel comfortable, even when you're mentally freaking out like I was.

His walkie-talkie buzzed, and he picked it up and spoke into it. "I've got the girl. Are the boys ready for her?"

Oh my.

The static-y voice from the other end of the walkie-talkie spoke. "They're about to start the song."

He nodded, even though the voice couldn't see him, and he grinned at me again. "Right this way."

I followed him down a twisty hallway, and he wasn't saying a word. I looked down to see myself shaking hysterically. My stomach felt as if it was going to leap out of my throat. 

He still wasn't saying a word to me, which wasn't a comfort, but we came to a large black door. There were people with clipboards swarming around it, and they all seemed stressed as well. Again, not a comfort.

"OK. When I say 'go', I'm going to open the door and you'll go onto the stage. This door leads to stage right. Don't let the lights blind you, and be careful not to trip over any chords. It shouldn't be a problem, though. There's a bench in the middle of the stage. Start walking towards it, and once the boys spot you, they'll come take your hand and lead you to sit down. They know you won't be used to the lights or the hype, so they'll help you. When the song is over, come back to this door and we'll lead you back to your seat. Sound good?"