Chapter Twenty-four

Start from the beginning

We both watched silently as his body fell to the floor, blood gushing out of his slit throat at an alarming rate. Finding the sight quite gory, I looked away, feeling bile rise up to my throat.

I couldn't help the relief that filled my heart following his death. It stood against my nature to witness death. A nature that had brought me nothing but pain.

What Alderon did to me killed me inside. It destroyed me. He not only killed my people and forced me to marry him, he also defiled me. And maybe that's why I'd wanted him dead and now that my wish was fulfilled I was still not satisfied. I wished I was the one to cause his death.

I felt that Calima had failed me in that she let all those horrible things happen to me. I was her servant. She was meant to protect me. She'd failed me and that had me seething with anger.

I felt arms wrap around me and pulling into a familiar chest that brought comfort. I muzzled my face in my lover's bosom while she rubbed the small of my back.

And then the flood gates opened as the realisation of my brutal sexual encounter came to mind. I released loud heart wrenching sobs; my agony overtaking every part of my body.

It felt like my soul was on fire, like it was shattered into a million pieces that I doubted could ever be pieced together successfully. And I wished in that moment that Calima would take pity on me and spare me from this pain.

I didn't know how long I cried for but in all that time Amanti did not loosen her grip around me. And that made me cry harder because I didn't think I deserved to be comforted by her.

I wondered how she could stand being close to me when I was so dirty. Surely she couldn't still be attracted to me. I was filth, undeserving of her attention.

She began humming a foreign tune which brought my cries to a halt as I listened to her. The humming was eerily enchanting and haunting at the same time, but still so beautiful.

My breathing evened out and my eyes slowly began to close. The haunting tune was the last thing I heard as I succumbed to the numbing grip of sleep.

***

I was startled awake by the song of the maccu bird. The bird had such a horrible song it could wake even the dead. I glanced at my surroundings and I almost cried when I realised I was in Amanti's old room back in Saëna Plutron.

The one I'd shortly came to call mine when she'd started calling me hers. I dug fingers deep in the heavily embroidered duvet covering my form. My heart thumped painfully in my chest as I recalled what I could call the best days of my life. When I'd felt needed …and not for my healing.

That cruel realisation brought forth memories of my time here when I'd been happy for the first time but it also brought forth the memories of my worst moments here which was when Amanti had to marry Valindra. Yet still, that heartbreak could not be compared to how I felt at this very moment which was … I didn't know where to begin with what I felt other than an all encompassing emptiness.

I had been wrong to give into her at Azer. She didn't even have to try hard for me to fall into her arms. Her being my first love had attributed to my naivety. And now that I was back to this place, I realised that Valindra was still very much her Queen, chosen for her by her people. And I was an insignificant being.

As I tried to climb off the bed a crippling pain flared up my back, rousing a cry from me. My hand shot to the bottom on my back as I rubbed the sore area.

I frowned in confusion, nae this couldn't be right. I should have healed by now. I tried to get a feel of my power but I got nothing. There was darkness in place of the green pulse of my power.

I released a cry of utter anguish and agony. This was my worst nightmare come true. My night with the king was bad enough but this was a cruelty of the highest level.

" Calima!" I cried at the top of my lungs.

" Have I not served you well? Why have you forsaken me?" I slumped to the ground, defeated. Tears ran down my face in rivulets as my body shook with barely suppressed sorrow.

I don't know how long I sat down on the fur rug in a curled up position crying my heart out and I didn't care. I'd sacrificed a lot to lead the life I had. I'd endured  seclusion, loneliness and abuse all my life by the very people whom I called my own. I'd been treated lesser than a human being because of my so-called power and this is the thanks I get.

That thought made me cry harder than before, to the point that my eyes ran out of tears to shed.

I hadn't noticed that someone had entered the chambers but when I felt arms circle around my body I panicked as I scrambled away from the person.

" Shh, Somanca, it's me, Amanti. I come in peace, my love."

I slowly turned and true enough it was her. Seeing her brought forth feelings of shame and great enmity towards myself. It was torture.

Was this another one of deity Calima's punishments. Taking away my gift wasn't enough, now I had to face her with the reality of my shameful sexual encounter with the king looming over my every thought.

When she made to close the distance between us I backed away. Pain overtook her features at the act and I hated myself for being the reason for her pain.

" Why have you brought me to this room?" I asked, my voice groggy from all the crying.

" This is our room, my love," she replied.

" Nae," I shook my head in vehement refusal. " I am only a guest here. "

" But you're more than that, my sweet. You're mine and I'm yours. Your place is by my side. "

I shoot her a look of irritation at her words. " Have you forgotten that you already belong to another? This Kingdom does not need three Queens."

" I went to the council to plead my case and the verdict was in my favour. They admitted that they were in the wrong to force me to marry someone I did not love and they have given me their blessings to marry you with the condition that I end things with Valindra. "

My face screwed in confusion. " But how?"

" You must know that I'm willing to fight over a million beasts to have you. You are mine, my very heart, my soul mate. There isn't a thing I wouldn't do for you apart from leaving you. I wouldn't survive without you."

I was so touched by her words that I did not notice her closing the distance between us. And when she circled her arms around me I did not recoil away but instead I sunk further into her touch.

" Can't you see how precious you are to me? Can't you see how much I love and treasure you? I failed to protect you from that monster and I will live the rest of my life atoning for that. I vow to you now that I will never fail   you again; that I will treat you like a goddess and worship you like you deserve. "

If there was any doubt of Amanti's love lingering in my heart her declaration dissolved it in an instant. I was truly loved.

I didn't feel dirty and unworthy of her attention. For once in my life I felt like I mattered to someone. Someone I loved with my whole being. Was this what I was gifted in exchange for my powers. If that was the case then I did not mind. Not when it meant that I was no longer alone.

❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇

MARTHA STREAMS