Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

I was flying into blissful oblivion free as the creature of the sky when I heard a honeyed voice lulling me out of sleep. My eyes slowly opened. At first all was a blur until my vision cleared up.

Something kept nudging gently at my leg. My eyes fell on the persistent nudging presence and my heart constricted in terror. At my feet layed a Feran, its skin glosy from the light of the sun. It was so calm and blissfully ignorant of my fear.

It reared its head back releasing a deep mighty yawn then preceeded to lick its coat untroubled by my presence. It was acting like I was not food but a companion and that made me fear it more. I was seconds away from jumping away from it but I couldn't muster the strength to do so for fear that I would irate it with any sudden movements.

I watched horror-struck as it got up stretching its form then it stared at me expectedly. I only stared back befuddled by its calmness. It nudged my leg then started heading in the easterly direction of Plarron. When it heard no movements behind it it looked at me huffing impatiently.

I decided then to just take the risk of following after it. I hoped I was not stumbling blindly to my death.

It moved much like a cat. With an arrogancy that could rival that of other felines. The longer we walked the more I could hear rushing waters. It had to be either a river or waterfall.

I followed in anticipation of what awaited us at the rushing waters. Once we arrived, the Feran layed on the wet earth lazily then stared at the water. I followed its gaze and what I saw nearly frightened me to death. It was not something terrible, perse, it was rather unusual. Something I never thought I'd ever lay eyes on in my life.

A creature was beneath the mighty waterfall. His skin was glistening with water and it had a pearly shimmer to it. He had his back to us, brushing his hair back. There was a fan-like anomality swishing behind him. It was odd. He didn't seem to mind the thing while I feared for him, thinking it was some creature planning to devour him.

The Feran purred at the sight of him as though he was a sight to behold. His head turned a little as he brushed his shoulder. I was frozen. I didn't know what to do. The thought of leaving, no, running as far away from this seemingly ethereal sight flashed through my mind but I feared what the Feran would do to me.

The feline grunted then got up nearing the edge of the land. It growled at the stranger for his attention. The lad finally turned to face us and he too froze when his gaze fell on me. I couldn't believe it. My hands flew to my agape mouth in surprise.

It was Venerus. He was unscathed much to my astonishment and relief. What truly had me questioning my sanity was the fan-like thing swaying elegantly behind him. His dark blue eyes shown brighter and unbelievably celestial. He regarded me with a guarded look to his eyes, his lips a straight line.

He glared at the feline accusingly but the Feran stared back at him innocently. In its own way it looked delighted for angering him. A very amusing thing it was. It backed away then gave itself to the cluster of greenery.

Venerus swam to the bank. I studied his form both fascinated, scared and startled. He was truly a sight. His upper form was so human but the rest of him was unlike anything I've ever seen in my life. From his narrow hips to the tail he was covered in fins and scales which shimmered like jewels in the light of the sun. His feet were not feet anymore. A fan-like appendage flared out like a peacock's tail from what was once his toes.

He had gills on his abdomen and neck. His arms had fins as well. His facial features were more pronounced and sharp. His ears were pointy at the edges. His eyes were framed with blue eyelashes. I didn't even know what to make of his otherworldly beautiful form. He was as beautiful as sin, untouched by normalcy.