Chapter 15✔️

Percy POVThe trip to Camp Half Blood was no delectation

Percy POV
The trip to Camp Half Blood was no delectation. Apollo's golden chariot was too elevated for my liking, touching the clouds and staying right inside of the stratosphere. Every twist and turn made my stomach flop, and I held onto the guardrails with white knuckles.

Raven seemed to be enjoying it. She was relaxed, with a slight smile on her face. Whenever we went into a periodic nosedive, she would whoop and holler. She didn't seem to notice that during this, I would hold on for dear life while screaming uncontrollably.

There was a reason I never rode planes, or did anything associated with flying. Zeus taunted me whenever I was in his domain. He most likely added it to his job description, just to feel obligated.
He considered me as his brother's upstart son, who belonged on the ground at all times. So, to put it simply, Zeus hates me.

It was supposed to be a clear day, but all I could see along the horizon were bolts of lightning and dark clouds. Hearing the explosive thunder accompanying it didn't help my mood either. A device on the sun god's wrist warned of spiking heat signatures ahead. Although Apollo thought nothing of it, Raven admitted to seeing the electricity. And surprisingly enough, it fascinated her.

To my dismay, she talked about it without ceasing. Even if I tried getting it out of my mind, Raven would be  there to remind me of it again.

Halfway through Raven's loud discussion with her father, Apollo turned the wheel sharply. He was trying to avoid an onslaught of lightning. The momentum sent half of my body over the edge. I got a glimpse of buildings and trees, which were small pinpricks in the distance.

Involuntarily, I gagged. I threw up breakfast Raven had given me earlier, right over the side. It left a sour taste in my mouth that was not pleasurable.

"Hey, watch the paint job!" Apollo shouted, barely heard over the wind and pressure. My ears popped for the second time in that hour, mostly because of my exertions. I slumped down, trying to slow down my heavy breathing. I clenched and unclenched my fists repeatedly, feeling no relief.

Raven procured a wet cloth out of her bag, placing it on my forehead. "It seems heights are not your forte."

"You think," I grumbled sourly. "Zeus hates when I'm up here."

The daughter of Apollo gave me an understanding look. "So, that's why you hate your wings," She realized. "If you wanted to fly, Zeus might shoot you down. I never noticed the irony."

"My life is full of ironic circumstances," I said, lifting my head up to the sky.

She took the cloth off of my forehead, and took in my face. There was another flash of lightning, and a slight jerk from the chariot. I stiffened up, pushing my back into the corner all the more.

It wasn't the height itself that scared me, but how close I was to instant death. Raven wanted to help keep me calm, so she sat closer to me.

"I used to hate you, y'know?" She said calmly, yet serious. "Before we met, I figured you were just another arrogant hero the gods always talked about."