Chapter 12✔️

Annabeth POVI was still trying to process what I was seeing

Annabeth POV
I was still trying to process what I was seeing. Rachel Elizabeth Dare, coming to my aid. How did she even find me? Questions swam around in my head, demanding to be answered.

"Rachel, what are you doing here?" I asked quickly. The girl was supposed to be living a semi-normal life, creating works of art and earning a living. She was a mortal who could see through the Mist, and an Oracle. But after the Giant War, she had decided to kick start a life in Manhattan, away from all of this.

"Athena sent me," she replied briskly, like it was no big deal. Her green eyes stared at me dully, almost emotionless.

"She talked to you?" I said, aghast. My mother must've heard my prayers, but she was answering them in an unexpected way. Rachel Elizabeth Dare had the power to see the future, not heal people.

Rachel gave me a blank expression. "She wanted to tell you that she saw what happened on the beach, and that it would be a waste for you to die."

"Good to know she feels that way," I replied dryly, having mixed feelings about the whole situation. Why didn't Athena message Chiron, or any of my other friends? What had Athena so interested in Rachel?

I felt the bandage around my waist, the length expanding just below my bust. It was somewhat suffocating, and I had an urge to rip it off. In spite of that, I knew it would risk me bleeding out.

I remembered being shot, falling in and out of consciousness. Percy had tried to stop the bleeding, tending to me on the beach. I couldn't figure out how I ended up there, most likely because I was unconscious most of the way.

I pushed away the thoughts.

The Oracle remained uncharacteristically silent, distracted about something. Her back was turned away from me, eyes staring at the sand.

"How many days was I out?" I questioned, slowly getting off of the uncomfortable bed. My bullet wound throbbed, but not as badly as it did a couple minutes ago.

"A couple of weeks," Rachel responded, body stock still.

I almost had a seizure. A couple of weeks! My mind immediately pictured Percy in my head, alone and close to death.

"We need to get back to camp," I said. "Chiron needs to know that I'm safe."

I grabbed my t-shirt off of the table, putting it on over my bikini. It was covered in blood and sand. Rachel must've found it on her way to me.

The Oracle noticed what I was doing, her green eyes widening. "Where are you going?"

"To camp. We have to find Percy," I said, looking around the room for my ivory weapon. "Rachel, did you find my dagger?" I sighed, frustrated.

"You don't need that thing! Athena wants you to stay," Rachel answered, her tone betraying any kind intention.

What was up with her? Something in my gut said I needed to run. Rachel wasn't acting like herself. I was starting to wonder if that even was Rachel.