Chapter 5✔️

Percy POV I woke up to a sharp throb in my back

Percy POV
I woke up to a sharp throb in my back. I shrieked, experiencing an uncontrollable shaking throughout my body. My muscles had a mind of their own, cramping up in every place possible. Fear of the unknown grew inside. I was convinced the whitecoats injected me with poison, and now it's doing its work.

"Percy..." I heard. A soft, disembodied voice. I tried focusing on it, knowing in the depths of my mind it was Angel. The voice soon faded away, though.

Already forgotten.

Pressure started building up in my back, as if something was trying to break through. My skin stretched upwards, the layers spreading out reluctantly.

"Percy!" Angel clamored, sounding frightened. She reached through the space in our cages and tried to grab my feet. It was a calming gesture that I was too disoriented to think about. Finding peace in a moment like this wasn't practical.

I tried muffling my screams, knowing that I was scaring her. Involuntarily, I kicked out, hitting her hand. She hissed, jerking it back to safety.

"I'm-I'm sorry," I said in between shouts, feeling guilty. "I can't-"

Another spasm, and then more agony. Whatever was going on was at it's apex, and I wanted it to end. It felt like the world was on my shoulders.

"I'm here, Percy. I know what's going on. I know it hurts." Angel said, trying to keep her telepathic voice calm. "It happened to me, too."

This distracted me as more questions formed in my head. What happened to her? What was going on? What did this place want with me?

I wanted to gain some ounce of control against myself. I forced my hands to cling to the cage bars, gripping them with white fists. I experienced a sharp pop in my vertebral column; the indicator of my skin giving way. Blood streamed down my back, warm and red. It fell where a puddle of dried blood formed earlier.

It's like the gods were doing a science experiment, trying to figure out how much blood was in a demigod's body.
Only I'm the guinea pig.

My skin throbbed, and Annabeth's body flashed through my head, sickening yet empowering. My rear throbbed more. I put my head in my hands from anguish. The episode before had been the warm up, because it was a walk in the park compared to this.

"It's almost over. This is the last stage, and some don't survive it," Angel said. "Try and put pressure on your back, or you could bleed out."

I nodded with gritted teeth, realizing how intelligent she was for her age. It was comforting, knowing that she understand what I was going through, yet barely knew me. And she was right. The torment had subsided, but not the bleeding.

I reached behind my back in order to put pressure on the wounds. I felt something else instead.

"What in holy Hades is that?!" I exclaimed, feeling a soft, coarse surface under my fingers. Suddenly, the cage was much smaller than before. I tried to sit up and get a better look, except something bulky stopped me.