Chapter 8✔️

Annabeth POVI woke up to the sound of waves hitting the sand

Annabeth POV
I woke up to the sound of waves hitting the sand. The salty air was brisk and invading, a strong aroma. I sat up quickly, which was a mistake. I groaned, remembering my injuries and pain from before. The image of Percy being taken away by those monsters flashed through my head, my stomach doing flip flops. He must think I'm dead. I thought at one point I was too, but somehow, I'd survived.

I was in a cot, which was barely staying steady atop the rustling sand. There was a tent enveloping me, keeping the sun out of my eyes. Bloody bandages were wrapped along my body, almost suffocating.

"Good, you're awake," said a familiar redheaded girl. She was sitting in the corner, where the little light coming into the tent couldn't reach.

"Rachel?"

Percy POV
Hours and hours turned into days, leading into weeks. We all alternated between tests or injections. The whitecoats were creatures of habit, and it all became routine. I still had to run for hours on a treadmill, but because my back and leg wounds were finally healed, it wasn't as unbearable. Angel didn't have as many physical tests as Max and I. She had lots of injections and mental exercises. She rarely got cut along her arms like Max did. Whenever Max came back from her time with the whitecoats, a new, jagged line would be along her radial. She didn't seem to notice it, however. Her anger masked the pain, and she was not someone who comfortably admitted weakness.

We talked escape, and when we were bored of that, played games. I taught them how to play "Sticks", and we had a tournament. I obviously won every game, but Max almost beat me once. Angel showed us a handshake called "Lemonade". I thought it was cheesy, but I was so bored at times that I didn't care.

The whitecoats' errand boy came with food and water once a day. Sometimes twice, but it was so spontaneous, I couldn't identify the pattern. Every sandwich was the same. Some stale bread, with one or two slices of ham. Max hated them, and expressed her disgust about it daily. But I knew it was better than the food in Tartarus, so I digged in.

Angel and Max talked about their family alot. The names Gazzy and Fang were mentioned by Max. Angel said she really missed Iggy and Nudge. I had no idea who these people were, but I could infer that they were all very close. I tried not to reveal too many things about myself. Just that I was on a date with Annabeth when we were attacked. I told them about her. How curly her hair was, her beautiful eyes. They listened in understanding, feeling my grief.

Max wasn't as cold towards me anymore. She became more understanding after waking me up from a nightmare once. I had been shouting so loud that they were awaken. They'd asked me what it was about, and I'd given them a made up story about being attacked by my dog.

I knew my behaviors were questionable to them, and Max was trying to deem me trustworthy. I couldn't reveal who I was without putting them in danger. They already had enough problems.

"We need a game plan," Max said, in real time. We were both awake, yet Angel was sound asleep. "I can't take anymore of this cramped cage."

I agreed. My wings felt so trapped, it ruined any chance of obtaining comfort. Max and Angel felt the same way, kicking at the cage sometimes to get it to stretch a centimeter or two more.