Pack

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the best idea to leave the bedroom but I needed some air and some space, a lot of it. I don't know who is worse, my family or Bill, since Pup was... born.

Pup. Pup. That's all I've been calling him. He needs a name at some point.

Anyway, Bill has become more insufferable than when he dragged me around just to show off, he won't leave me alone now. It's almost like he's making up for something. He's being a kissass.
And my family, oh boy, they really crowd in. I love them to death but... ugh.
Marmibelle is always the first to offer up on feeding Pup. Stan is being too soon to encourage wrestling. Ford, at every given chance, is present with pen and paper to take notes. The books miraculously carry strange toys to play with.

So now, I'm hiding in plain view with my pup. Meaning we're  outside the Fearamid.

I'm leaning against the tree next to the duck pond watching my son  roll around on the baby blanket. It was amusing, seeing his mixed eyes wide with wonder as he took in his surroundings. He's adorable. I wonder how he'll grow and who he'll become. Stubborn for sure.

My pup turned his eyes on me and stared for a moment as if he was trying to remember who I am, then he stretched he stubby arms toward me with his tiny hands opening and closing, an overjoyed, toothless, smile and giggling.
A grin pulled across my face at the infant before tugging on the blanket to bring my pup closer. I lowered my head to his reach, letting him tug on the locks of my hair that fell over his face, squeeze my nose as if it were a squeaky toy, he even tried to poke one of my eyes.
He let out happy little squeaks and gurgles as I gave him affectionate licks over his cheeks and blew raspberries into his belly.

The peaceful moment ended, however, not as I expected. Usually it involves Bill. This time, it was someone... new.

It was a Beast and a hound like me, but this one had thick black fur and looked more hellhound than human. He reminded me of Beufo before Marmi convinced me to feed him, well her, only healthier.
What bothered me was that they were approaching me directly with an intent of some kind.

I pulled the blanket over Pup out of some instinct and gave a warning growl.
This hound looked familiar somehow.

My warning slowed they're pace to a stop but it was still only a couple lunges away.
I could see the newcomer was male, whoever his owner was clearly didn't care for clothing more than a collar. He seemed a little too relaxed by the way he sat. I was tempted to show him that he shouldn't be.

I let my growl die since he stopped at such a polite distance away and just met his stare evenly. If he was trying to intimidate me he has a few levels to reach yet.

Pup squirmed and wiggled under the white blanket making only small noises.

"Have pup?" His voice startled me for a moment. He sounded like he never drank water, I half expected  ink to dribbled from his jaw.

I refixed my shocked expression with a glare. "Why ask?"
I have been working my speech, seriously, but a random moments I can barely say more than two words at a time.

The stranger openly looked at the squirming blanket. "Cloth moves."

I didn't dignify his with a response and merely put an arm over the hidden infant.

"No harm." The other Beast assured lowering his head. "Talk."

I raised a brow at that. I have no reason to trust this hound especially if he's so confident in talking to me.

"Pack hound?" He asked, his eyes round and curious white dots against his black fur.

I tipped my head confused with the question.

"Was hound in pack?" His neck tensed as he completed the four words. The strain is relatable.

Pack hounds. Hmm... Was Beufo part of a pack? Before she lived with us?

"Dunno." I grumbled. "No memories. Only instinct."

The stranger nodded as if he understood, he probably does. "Name?" He asked before flopping on to his side keeping his arms and leg curled close to his body.

I narrowed my gaze at him with clear suspicion. "Dipper. You?"

I watched him roll on to his back and just squirm there for a moment. "Funny name." He snickered as he squirmed on the grass then looked at me upside down. "Called Chess."

I snorted at his insult. "Funny name too."

"Chess know." He replied with a grin showing off a clean set of sharp teeth.

What has this place done to him?

He turned back on his side and blinked at me curiously. "See pup?" He asked nodding to the wiggling blanket.

"No." Was my immediate response.

He pouted momentarily before shrugging then laying his head on his wrists. For once so far he was silent.

I nudged the small body under the blanket with my nose. My pup stilled for only a moment before his hands tried to dig through the cloth to reach me. He cooed and whimpered, feeling my face but not seeing me. I wanted to remove the cover but I didn't trust the other hound that watched curiously.

"Pack be safe." He said suddenly. Many good. Pups be safe. Strong alpha."

I narrowed my gaze at him. "Have pack." I grumbled. "Am alpha."

Chess stared at me with surprise. Am I that feminine right now? He remained silent and lowered his eyes to the grass, his eartips lowering in submission.

I gave a quiet snort as another scent grabbed my attention. Metal and incense.

"Pinetree!" Bill round my tree with a frantic expression on his yellow face. Chess lifted his head as my demon approached.
"I've been worried to death. You know it's not safe outside your room or mine."

I raised a brow at him. Does he think that I can't defend myself and my pup from one of his minions?

"I heard that." Bill aimed a long finger at me. "I'm just thinking of the safety for William."

I let that sink in a moment before scoffing. William? He thinks my pup's name will be the same as his? Hell will fade into oblivion before I let that happen.

Bill narrowed his eye at me. "What's wrong with me being our son's namesake."

A noise came from Chess, a combination of a squeak and an interest piqued grunt.

"Not happening." I declared as I began wrapping the blanket around my pup so I could carry him back inside.

The demon huffed. "I'm his parent too. I have a say in this." He took a rough step forward and instantly I was up on all fours over my puo teeth bared and a death promising growl with a glare to match.
My growl wasn't alone, however. Chess was standing as well, ready to leap into attack and inching closer.

Bill wasn't impressed with my behavior, it was normal after all, but he did not like Chess. He must have recognized him too from wherever and whenever it was.
His eye went red as he glared the other hound down. "Shoo." Voice thick and garbled.

The other hound's head lowered as did the volume of his growl, but he didn't leave.
Bill gave a lenient hmph before focusing on me again. "Inside. Now." He ordered.

I glared at him silent. Moments went by. But I bit into the blanket around my pup and picked him up, without looking back at Chess I trotted over to the entrance.

"William is a perfectly good name for a child." Bill verbally pouted from behind me.

He is not naming my child after himself. How narcissistic can he get?