Spotlight

"Relax," I told myself. "You practiced all day and managed to perfect it, this won't be any different." I looked away from the opening between the drapes to my hands, calloused and still a bit raw from the training. "Have to do this."

"Pines," one of the minor demons approached me. "You're on in ten seconds, be ready." He walked away with only that said and I stepped closer to the drapes. Across the arena and a level below, Norman stood waiting for his cue.

"Five!" the demon called.

I don't want to do this.

"Four!"

But I have to.

"Three!"

For Marmibelle and Beufo.

"Two!"

Stan and Ford.

"Go!"

For Mabel's memory.

I ran out and leaped, summoning the baton from my left armlet and using it's mainly decorative hooks to hang glide on the metal chord to Norman's level. A strong swing to my right and I was ready to launch off the wall above the trainer.

We latched on to each other's forearms and locked grips at the wrists, I push off the wall and send us falling to our performance.

Norman grinned encouragingly at me. "Let's do this, shall we?" he asked.

"Never thought you'd ask." I replied with my own grin.

Together we maneuvered ourselves so we were free falling on our backs. Next thing there was a lurch and a painful yank on both of my arms, but I knew that Norman was swinging on a trapeze. This is going to hurt tomorrow. I saw the next trapeze bar about to me at the center of our midair arena.

"Remember, go easy on your own." Norman warned as we swung toward the empty bar.

"I got this." I assured readying myself to let go.

We reached the point and I released my grip, launching myself forward. I heard Norman curse and quickly realized the mistake, the calculations were off and chances of a normal grab was a mile off. I summoned both batons and hooked on to the bar. Applause rang out causing me to sigh in relief as I swung forward, pulling myself up feet first then losing the batons when I was a full height upside down. The look on the trainer's face was almost laughable, he looked so relieved and so shocked at the same time, it put a grin on my face.

The trapeze began swinging back so I eased myself down with the motions and forced myself back  up backwards. Unfortunately I couldn't make it all the way and started slipping forward again. Abruptly my slipping stopped I looked and saw the spiked hair of the trainer.

"Easy does it, Pines." he lectured with a strained tone. "Let's finish this already."

I snickered quietly. "Finally."

He let go of my ankles and I readied to land on the thinner than trustworthy stand. Once I landed I rubbed my aching hands together and turned back to my partner that was coming in with arms open. I ran back out with a lunge, gripping his wrists again and swinging with our combined weight to the next target. Norman unhooked his legs from the bar sending us into another free fall. I adjusted myself and let go of his right hand, reaching out for the streamer. I grabbed on swinging the both of us around while fixing myself upside down with my leg tangled in the fabric and letting us slide down slowly.

There's been a last minute change, Bill's voice invaded my mind, Marco is your partner in the finale, be ready.

Perfect, I thought bitterly, just what I need right now. Improvisation on the spot.