Tears

I stood there, dripping strawberry wine from my hair and face, on the balcony stunned. He was drunk, that was obvious, but was he that upset over a tiny joke?
No, I didn't flirt with anyone while I was out, if someone couldn't keep their eyes off me while my back was turned then that's their problem.

And was he crying? I've never seen Pinetree shed a tear, not once. The wonders of alcohol on a human never ceases to amaze me. Violence and agony, laughter and tears, chaos and calm, it's amazing.

I combed my fingers through my hair, slicking it back with the drying liquid substance, and followed after my Pinetree into the room that remained empty of the human. I walked to the door to the bath and pressed my ear to the wood. I could hear sobbing on the other side and something twisting inside me, causing Pinetree such pain and confusion. As much as it needs to happen for my plans, it hurts to see him act out that way, to hear him cry over my actions, to confuse him to this point.

I pushed the door open slowly and peeked inside, he was in the water facing the open windows. He had his head resting in one hand, his body shaking with every shaking exhale and hiccuped inhale. A moment of weakness like this was a first, I honestly wasn't sure what to do.

I stepped into the room slowly and silently, I noted Pinetree's clothes haphazardly strewn about the floor as I stripped off my own. Pinetree didn't take notice as I joined him in the water until I wrapped my arms around him, then he struggled against me weakly muttering incoherent curses and names. I pulled him into my lap, letting him cry against me until he calmed down.

When he got quiet, his tired and shaky breathes the only thing to be heard, I buried my nose into his hair. I could feel his confusion, his hurt, and his worries. I felt guilty for causing them.

"Why-" Pinetree started. "Why do you do that to- to me?" I met his eyes, they sparkled the familiar honey color that I remembered outlined in a raw red ring. They were beautiful, he was beautiful, a magnificent creature. If only he knew.

I licked away the tears that remained but I couldn't pull back. Pinetree tackled me into the water, our lips connected as we both were engulfed into the shallow depths. It was one moment of stillness that felt frozen, cradled by water, holding him close, his mouth pressed against mine, the taste of his tears still on my tongue. The frozen moment seemed to last a millennia before I noticed my back was touching the bottom and sensing Pinetree's drunken distress. I lifted both of us back up, hearing him gasp for air the moment we broke to the surface.

I sat him on the edge of the engraved tub as he coughed and regained his breath, but even so he kept his own arms around my neck.
"You bastard." He croaked, finally saying something, as he looked me in the eye.

I couldn't help but smile at his words. I could tell the nearly drowning experience had sobered him some but his eyes were still dilated. "Don't try to drown yourself then." I replied. "I'm not the one who needs to breath." I didn't give him a chance to speak again, I pulled him firm against me and covered his mouth with mine. I felt him tense at the action but he relaxed just as quickly, kissing back with building progression.

For some reason Tad's words rang through my head. He isn't Citlali the priest. He may look like the boy you loved, he may even be as clever, but he isn't him. He is Mason Dipper Pines.

I held him tighter at the thought. Tad was right, like always, Citlali wasn't toned like Pinetree is or the slightest bit tanned. Pinetree isn't reserved and doesn't just watch things pan out like Citlali did. They're alike as they are different. But Citlali is gone.

I'm sorry little brother, I'm sorry.