Chapter 9

PATRICE'S POV

"If you're not going to say anything then move out." Lance tells me with a straight and cold tone. He sarcastically smiles and walks through the halls.

I was left standing on my own. Some students, who are passing by, looks at me and probably they are wondering why I am almost crying. I didn't mind them. I shake my head and walk like nothing happened. I try my hardest to stop the sensation of crying. Somehow, I can still hold on.

I am supposed to tell Lance how sorry I am. The night it happened, I saw how hurt and lonely he was. I saw how painful his reaction was. I saw what it did to him. I know I am the reason why everyone doesn't want to near him, and I know why he's always quiet and expressionless.

And I also know that he... loves me.

"Patrice!" I turn to see Patricia running towards me. I smile and stop walking to wait for her to reach me.

"I thought you're in the gymnasium?" I ask her. "I am about to go there."

"I forgot something in my locker and so I went back to get it." Patricia says. "Actually, I thought you're in the classroom that's why I run as fast as I can. But then you weren't there. It's a good thing I caught up to you here."

I just nod at her as we walk towards the gymnasium. It's our PE period but our teacher isn't around. Some of my classmates are in the gymnasium. They are playing dodge ball or something.

"You know... it really is different without Ariana and Jennifer." Patricia suddenly says. She is staring at the air on front of her but she has a small smile. "If they were here, we'd probably talk about boys and stuff. I miss them so much."

I grab her hand and hold it firmly. "I miss them, too." She looks at me then smiles.

Suddenly, I remember the morning when I found Zach's body in the classroom. It was gruesome and horrible. Vivian and Jonathan, who were just behind me during the time I discovered Zach's body, were almost disgusted by how Zach's head was obviously methodically cracked open. His brain is not in his head and up to now no one, not even the police, know where did the killer hid his brain.

I pat my pocket where a crumpled paper is in. I found the paper near Zach's body and I haven't thrown it for a reason. The paper was obviously torn but the reason is what I don't know. Written in it is something Zach probably wrote before he was killed.

In it are five names of our classmates.

Whatever the reason why their names are written is very important because this will be the key for the answers we need. Now that our class is faced with something that is tangible yet unsure, we will need this as our weapon. The weird things and deaths that are happening in our class will maybe or most probably stop if this will be revealed. However...

"Hey Patrice, you've been quiet for a while?" Patricia asks as we reach the gym and sit on the bleachers.

"I'm just thinking." I say with a smile.

We look at some of the boys who were howling after Alvin and Art got hit by some balls. Patricia then looks back at me. "About what?"

"Just some stuff." I shrug. I turn to the direction of our classmates. "For instance... our classmates."

Patricia sighs. "They don't even care with you... with us. So why think of them?"

"Because..." I pat her shoulder. "I will be needing them."

Patricia frowns. "Need them?"

"Yes." I say. "We need them to help me to uncover everything that is happening in our class."