Chapter 8

DARREN'S POV

"Class 4-A's supposed-to-be homeroom teacher died..." Winona mutters as she taps her finger on her chin. She looks at Vivian with serious eyes. "Didn't you notice something?"

Vivian keeps quiet and probably thinks of the worst case scenario. Knowing her, she could have put some of the puzzle pieces. I compose myself try to calm down. My heart is beating so fast. I feel so nervous. I'm nervous that the two might find out something they shouldn't know.

"To think that all deaths are connected with our class is already questionable." Vivian mutters.

We stay quiet and stare at the blank spaces on front of us. I don't want to join in their conversation because I do not have anything to say. I might accidentally say something to them so I have to think of my words before answering.

"I know I may sound ridiculous but guys..." Vivian says as she looks at me and Winona. "Let's investigate."

"You're right. Let's investigate." Winona agrees.

I turn to Winona. "No!"

I realized that I said it loud enough for everyone in class to hear. My classmates are all looking at me, even the teacher. I just smile at them apologetically and look back at Winona and Vivian. They are looking at me.

"What do you mean by no?" Winona frowns. "Don't you want to know what is really happening in our class?"

"I..." I mutter. "It's dangerous. Who knows, we might die if we learned the truth."

"That's a risk that we should take in order for us to live." Vivian tells me.

"No..." I say as I try to think or words to say. "It's different. Lance warned you, right Winona?"

"Lance warned you?" Vivian looks at me then to Winona.

"Yes." Winona nods.

"He warned you about what?"

"Later. I'll tell you everything later."

"You should comply with the warning, Winona." I tell her. Then I look at Vivian. "Then you should stop this."

"Darren, what is wrong with you? You were the one who told me that Lance is a weirdo then now you're telling me to follow his warning?" Winona asks me confusingly.

I close my eyes and think. "And now I'm convinced with what he said. The deaths of our classmates proved something so it's just normal for me to be cautious. You guys should be, too."

"Just calm down, Darren." Vivian tells me. "We'll be fine."

I look at her then to Winona. As much as I want to stop them, I know they will start to investigate even with the warning. I am very worried with them, since they are innocent, but I can't stop them. Maybe I should stick with them and try to help.

"The three of us have each other." Winona adds with a smile. "Don't worry, we got each other's back."

I smile at her. I nod to them, indicating that I'll be joining them. But I still need to be cautious. He knows that I know he's one of them and if he tries to target Winona or Vivian, his cover might be blown. I will make it a reason for me to help them. Plus, who knows, I might get to learn all the secrets of what is happening here. Another reason why I agreed to join them is for them to prevent to find out my secret. Though my secret is somehow connected with everything that is happening here, I do not want for them to know my secret or Celeste will kill them... kill us. It is a secret between me and Celeste.