22| A turn of events.

Her soul was brave and dark. Her eyes were full of courage.

-Unknown.

Now that they were one man down on the wall, Scarlett had no choice but to fill the spot in. The gun felt wrong in her hands, even though she knew perfectly well how to work with one. She preferred her knives. 

"Come one. These foxholes aren't gonna build themselves." Bellamy's voice boomed over camp as he watched some delinquents build them. They answered back with a few mumbles.

Scarlett sighed, her eyes scanning her dark surroundings -- unable to see much. Her eyelids were growing heavy, but she refused to close them for more then a second. Everyone was tired. Everyone pushed through, so she had to, too.

A minute passed, then the second, and Scarlett's eyes grew tired once again. So when a gunshot sounded over camp a few moments later, she felt a little gratitude before realizing what it could've meant.

Her head turned, along with the others, to search for the culprit. He wasn't hard to find. One, he looked extremely guilty and two, Bellamy was at his throat.

"Hey!" He said loudly, "What's the matter with you?" Scarlett bit her lip and jumped off the wall, joining the crowd that was surrounding around them.

"I'm sorry man. I fell asleep." The boy answered in slight panic, "I've been on watch all day." 

Bellamy grabbed a fist full of each side of the boy's jacket, pushing him against the tree behind him with a furious expression on his face. "We've all been on watch all day! That bullet was one less dead Grounder."

Scarlett stepped forward, but Raven, who'd joined her side, stopped her by moving her arm in front of the blonde. "Don't." She warned. The blonde grinded her teeth but stayed put, listening to Raven for once.

"Who allowed him with a gun anyway? Last time I checked, he wasn't able to handle one properly." Scarlett whispered to Raven. She shrugged, not having the answer.

"Bell," Octavia spoke up warningly, taking a step forward, "you're scaring people."

He turned his attention to her as he still held the boy up. Scarlett desperately wanted to calm her boyfriend down, but like her, he had to let it out. Quite frankly, she didn't blame him either. With the disappearance of Clarke, Finn and Monty, everyone was more on edge.

"They should be scared." He shot back, letting go of the boy, "The bomb on the bridge bought us some time to prepare, but that time is up. The Grounders are out there right now, waiting for us to leave and picking us off one by one when we do. Clarke, Finn and Monty are gone. Probably dead." When Bellamy said that, Scarlett felt a lump form in her throat. "And if you wanna be next, I can't stop you. But no guns are leaving this camp. This camp is the only thing keeping us alive." Bellamy ended his speech breathing heavily. "Get back to work."

The silence was broken again as everyone started to chat. Scarlett hurried to his side, ignoring the comments about Bellamy as she passed some delinquents, and placed a hand on his shoulder. He reacted fast, but he visibly relaxed when he saw who it was.

"It's just me, relax." Scarlett assured him and sat him down for a moment. "Feeling better?"

He shook his head, "Far from it." He sighed, rubbing his hands over his tired face. "Listen, I'm sorry about what I said, I'm just--"

"You're rightfully on edge, I'm not blaming you, Bellamy. You're just being realistic and it's a thought that we can't leave out even if I wanted to." She told him. 

He licked his lips, silent for a moment, before bringing himself and Scarlett back on their feet and pecking her lips. "You, too. Back to work." He said with a slight grin.