Episode 13: Two Thieves Walk Into A Bar... 'Nuff Said.

Start from the beginning

     “It was a good investment at the time,” she muttered back. Her shamrock eyes scanned the room for a moment, looking past the gyrating mass of human flesh. Smiling, she gestured with her chin towards the back of the club.

     “He’s back there,” she paused in her observation, taking note of others in the room. Her eyes involuntarily narrowed at a set of women that sat around a stripper pole, who were watching them with the same reproachful gaze. This isn’t going to be good, Terra thought dryly, feeling her stomach lurch at the tattoos peeking behind their ears and the piercings on their necks. Spinning herself around, Panterra wrapped herself around Troy.

     A blush exploded over his face like blood in a bowl of milk. His nose and ears flushed an unpleasant shade of magenta. Panterra could hardly believe that Troy had ever for a second been a ladies man by the speedy rate of red he was turning.

     “What are you doing--” he asked, sounding stunned, and a spiel away from stuttering.

     “Look to your nine o’ clock,” Terra hissed into his ear, her breath making his sweat feel cold. Troy’s chocolate eyes flickered for a moment. He nodded.

     “What about them?” he responded.

     “They’re a rival gang,” Terra whispered in his ear. Troy nodded, swallowing past the lump that had formed in his throat. Not even ten minutes in and they already had someone wanting to kill them. The lights flashed across the dance floor in an intricate pattern, making the already smoky room even harder to see in.

     “The problem is, I don’t know how we’re going to get back there without causing trouble,” Troy heard Panterra mutter under her breath. Feeling ridiculously awkward and a bit guilty towards Kyler, he pressed his mouth to her ear.

     “Follow my lead,” he muttered, before placing a firm hand on her hip. Terra could feel her face morph from concentration to suspicion, her fist clenched as Troy led her through the throng of people. Her body moved familiarly to the music, the memories of years ago at this same club now coming back to her. They were in the eye of the storm, in the center of a sweaty and sticky hurricane.

     “W-what are you doing?” Terra stammered. Troy just smiled coyly, the same kind that had Terra trusting him without a second thought. Stupid, amiable faces.

     “We’re going to dance our way through.”

     Panterra forced a chuckle up her throat, pushing down the tadbit of revulsion at the closeness of another human being. No matter how much she liked Troy, even maybe, possibly, thought of him as an acquaintance, she did not permit close contact from pretty much anyone but Kate and those she was handing their asses to.

     “You aren’t going to square dance with me, are you?” she teased, flashing the barest hint of a smile. The cowboy flushed at the sudden beauty that overtook Terra at her coy gesture, seeing in a second what Kyler saw all along.

     Troy laughed momentarily, trying to squelch the stupid feeling that he was cheating on Kate. Which he was not. He was simply dancing with a girl, albeit a pretty one, for the sake of finding the gorgeous girl who had his balls in a vice grip. Troy closed his eyes for a moment, letting Kate take over his thoughts. Electricity ran through at the memory of her full mouth on his, of their heavy breathing and the feeling of her beating heart against his chest...

     Angling their bodies towards to the bulking male dinosaurs that were standing outside a closed, gold spray painted bank vault, Troy and Panterra shimmed their way through. Terra tried not to snort at how ridiculous they looked, but it was hard not to, seeing as Troy was moving his shoulders like a drag queen.