o41

"Carry off you duty, magician," Nakamoto said, poised as ever

"Carry off you duty, magician," Nakamoto said, poised as ever. "I don't like to be kept waiting."

My eyes landed on Kun and as if he can hear me, I kept murmuring a dozen of don't on the tip of my tongue. Despite the heavy kohl he was wearing, I can see the slight flicker in his eyes. The young man's throat bobbed, seemingly as if his clothes are suffocating him. But everyone knows it's not because of his clothes, but because of his ruler's order.

"Very well then," he cleared his throat. "I will show you something you've never seen."

The magician's reponse earned a grin from Nakamoto, who is now sitting more wearily on his seat. Great anticipation glimmered on his cruel orbs. If only I could gouge his eyeballs out, I would gladly comply.

He doesn't deserve such pretty eyes.

The girl was now shrieking when she got yanked by the hair. "Yuta?" she cried. The way his name escaped her lips sounded as if he's not talking to the man who will be responsible for her death, but it was as if she's talking the man she loves. "Yuta, don't do this to me. You can't just kill me, can you?! I thought we were something-"

Nakamoto broke off to a hysteric laughter. "Something? Listen closely," he lifted a brow "I won't hesitate to kill my own Champion if they go against me. How much more if it's just someone like you?"

"Yuta, please don't do this to me."

"Magician," Nakamoto interrupted effortlessly. "Tear her apart. I want to hear her screams."

My heart lurched.

Kun dipped into a bow, murmuring something I can't hear and I don't want to hear.

When he straightened, he spared a quick glance at the girl. "State your name. And pledge yourself guilty of your crime."

I want the girl to not speak. But the guards were forcing her to, so it she can't help but to spill her name.

I squeezed Lucas' wrists but the man didn't falter at my touch. He just watched the scenery unfolding right before him.

I turn my head to face Ten, "We must do something. Ten, we can't let her die."

"No," it was Lucas who answered. "We can't afford to cause a scene here, Nina. They might harm you-"

I bit my lip, ignored him and decided to persuade Ten instead. "Ten," I studied his trembling eyes. "Ten, we can't just sit here and watch-"

"Jeena," there's no sign of his jovial voice anymore. "I already told you," he blinked and faced me, his expression algid. "About the wolves."

I blinked in confusion. His words pierced me like the sharpest of blade. "W-What-?"

"Everyone, have you heard of voodooism?" Kun's voice cut the air like a knife. Now there's nothing left on the stage but him and the panting girl.