4

"(Y/N)! Wait up!"

You ignored the call of your name from behind, keeping the same pace as before and focusing on your destination in the distance.

"(Y/N) (L/N), I swear by all the planets in this galaxy and the next, if you don't slow down I will strangle you." The voice continued, sounding more annoyed and tired than before.

"How are you going to do that if you don't catch up with me?" Your reply audibly conveyed the playful smirk that was spread across your lips. "Because, in all honestly, I'm not going to slow down so that means you'll always stay behi- Aahh!" Something- no, someone rammed into your back, forcing you to collide harshly with the paved ground below.

It was time to make your bi-weekly journey to the market center and you had decided to bring Jaxen, the only person you could consider a friend and not a client or acquaintance, along for the trip. The market center was full of life and anything the average consumer could ever ask for-- every type of food product (including a surplus of the produce grown locally), clothing, books, furniture, and other goods that the general public would need. Basically, the only thing missing from the market was the advanced technology that populated all other corners of the galaxy.

Your goal in coming here was to purchase more pencils, ink, and paper, but so far you had achieved none of that. Jaxen had done an annoyingly wonderful job of dragging you around to every market stall and tent except the ones that you actually needed to visit.

Jaxen Lyre wasn't much older than you (although you didn't know his exact age, you knew he had to be at lease 28) despite how juvenile he seemed to act at times. He had lived on Beztekka for his entire life, and, having been born to a family that tended to one of the largest farms on the entire planet, he knew that this is where he would always live. He thrived in the simplicity of life here. He loved the beauty of the natural world and wouldn't exchange the life he had for anything else. Jaxen had piercing green eyes (the shade of which could easily be compared to the greenery of the planet), tanned skin that was spattered with freckles, hair that was akin to the shade of the Jakku sand in the midday sun, and (despite being older) he was ever so slightly shorter than you.

You had actually met Jaxen the first time you visited the market center after moving to Beztekka. You had been searching for a few of the necessities of life and the necessities of your line of work, but you ended up getting lost. Thankfully, Jaxen had been helping run his family's produce stall at the market that day and he saw you struggling to find your way around. He led you to where you needed to be and boom!, from then on you two had become quite good friends.

"What was that for, idiot?" You turned and glared at Jaxen before scanning over the parts of you that scraped and bumped against the ground, praying for no injuries and a minimal amount of dirt on your clothes.

"You said that I couldn't catch up with you, so I had to prove you wrong." He shrugged casually, not at all worried about your physical health. "But anyways, lets go grab something to eat. It's past noon and I had a small breakfast. I'm absolutely famished." With an energy totally unique to himself, he reached for your hand and began pulling you off the ground.

"Jax, you can't be serious." A small part of you agreed with him. You were quite hungry and you'd love to grab something to eat, but you needed to get what you came here for. "You know that I need to finish my errands before I do anything else. Honestly, I don't know how you convinced me to visit the herbal tea stand and waste two whole hours there." You sighed, utterly baffled.

As soon as you and Jaxen started walking around the market, he saw a tea stand that claimed to have the "widest variety of teas in the whole galaxy" and he just had to drag you over to it and read the label on every single bag, box, and tin of tea there. He had made several corny puns about some of the different types, making the both of you laugh. There were a few being sold that were made from some very rare ingredients, so you considered buying them-- but Jaxen insisted that you just needed to buy them for yourself. You caved. 34 credits were spent on totally superfluous tea that, honestly, no one would ever need to have.

"Don't deny the fact that you enjoyed it though, (Y/N). I mean, now you have a wider variety of tea in your possession!" His attempt at justifying his actions made you smile and softly chuckle to yourself.

"Well, great," you said whilst turning away from him and resuming your walk toward the booth you knew sold the supplies you need. "But I'm not joking right now. I've got something... important to work on at home." Important was a bit of an understatement. Hux's concerto was absolutely paramount.

"Ooo, something important? Do tell." Jax followed you down the path, his eyes bright with curiosity.

You were about to boast about the biggest accomplishment of your life, but you caught yourself before you could. You didn't know the exact parameters of what you could and couldn't disclose to others, although you did know that the First Order liked to typically keep everything (and I mean everything) hidden from the public eye, except for the things they did in the broad light of day for the purpose of gloating or intimidating their enemies. "I don't think I can tell you... But I know that if you knew, you wouldn't be distracting me so much."

"Aren't you just a stick in the mud."

-_-_-_-

Following the slight disagreement between you and Jaxen, you were finally able to purchase what you needed and get back to your isolated home. The counters of your kitchen were now crowded with the multitude of bags you had brought home with you from your fairly long outing to the market- including foods, the teas Jax had convinced you to buy, the writing fundamentals, and a few new items of clothing.

It had been almost a week since Hux had contacted you about a commission. It had been almost a week since you started one of the most challenging pieces you've ever embarked on creating. Thankfully, he had contacted you shortly after you had accepted the task and the two of you were able to work out some of the finer details of what he was looking for in the music. In his words, you were composing a "crisp, modern, rigid, and a mixture of bright and dull sounds" concerto. You had offered to write him an entire symphony, but he actually redirected you towards a cello concerto. He told you that he admired the sound of the cello and would love to have a piece that focused on his favorite stringed instrument, and who were you to tell him no?

In the last week, you had also forced yourself to finish the jazz piece and you were supposed to hand deliver it to your client in Canto Bight tomorrow. You had your flight booked and were slightly nervous as to how long it would take to deliver the music to his personal club. This wasn't the first piece you had written for this particular client, but this was the first time he requested you to meet with him to deliver a piece. Why couldn't you just send it over the Intergalactic Parcel Transport like you had before? Why did he insist on you delivering it in person? Why did he insist on wasting the precious time you had to work on something that was far more important?

Presently, other than worrying over the trip tomorrow, you were taking a short break from the exciting work of writing music by sprawling yourself across your chaise lounge and reading a book.

Ping

Your ears perked up at the familiar tone of a notification from your holopad. A small smile began to appear on your face as you thought of the possibility of what the notification may be-- potentially Hux contacting you about another detail of the music, or maybe he's asking how it's coming along.

Setting the book down, you quickly walked towards your bedroom and looked towards your desk-

Ping

Almost as if on cue, the holopad sounded off once again and you saw the screen light up with the same notification layout as all the previous times when you had seen it-- except one difference. The name attached to the message wasn't General Hux... It was Commander Ren.

With a new found sense of urgency, you opened the holopad and read the notification to yourself, "I am requesting a custom piece of music from you- Kylo Ren."

Kriffing hell, I didn't think he'd actually want one too.