Choices

"Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost."

~~~~~~~

"Wait! Aaron! Why to we need to get there in a hurry?!" I said, trying to keep up with him. We pushed through crowds of people to get to our destination.

When we got in the general area of where we were going, we heard glass breaking and faint yelling.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" We heard someone say. "Get out of here, you're not allowed to be here!"

We hurry in the room where we heard the yelling. And see Victor with a lot of potions and jars in his hand.

"Victor!" Aaron yelled, and pulled his gun out on him.

"W-Wait! Don't shot! I know what I'm doing! You all just have to trust me!" He says, and slowly moves towards the counter and puts the things in his hand on to it.

"What do you mean, 'you know what you're doing'?! You're in here, without anyone's consent, and ruining things! You do know I can shoot, right?!" Aaron's voice goes into a tone I've never heard from him before.

"Aaron! Calm down! I'm sure he has a logical explanation. Right Victor?" I ask him. And he just looks at me, confused.

"O-Of course I do!" He says, and pauses for a moment.

The room goes quiet, waiting for him to explain.

"Well...? We're listening." Aaron says, but doesn't let his guard down.

"I was a scientist, before... All this happened. And when it did start.. I worked for days and days to try to find a cure." He stops, looking over at the pile of potions he set on the counter. "Then, I came so close, I could feel it... But then... My experiment came to a halt when the monsters made their way into my lab. I was forced to leave."

He looks up at us, waiting for one of us to say something. Anything. But we didn't know what to say. Even Aaron lowered his gun a bit.

"I was so close... And I do remember what I used to get there. Just, please... Let me finish." Victor pleaded. I looked towards Aaron, and he looked at the medics. They all shrugged, until one spoke up.

"As long as he doesn't break anything else, I don't mind." The other medics agreed.

"Alright, fine. I'll get permission by the leader if he can stay." Aaron quickly changes his glance to Victor. "Don't touch anything until I get back." Victor nodded.

Aaron walks out, but not too happy, and I follow.

"Why don't you trust him?" I catch up to him and ask.

"I don't fully trust anyone until they prove themselves. And so far Victor isn't proving anything. He's just digging his grave deeper and deeper each time he talks." He growls and walks faster.

"Do you trust me?"

He stops and turn towards me.

"I guess... But only after you proved yourself to be trustworthy." He continued to walk, but more slowly.

"When and how did I prove myself to you?" I question, getting a little suspicious. He thought for a moment.

"After my father assigned you to go on a hunting trip. You found food, then bought it back to us." He shrugged.

"Your father... You only trust us if it's okay with your father!" He looks at me, confused.

"You never got to know me as a person.... You only go by what your father thinks. Don't you?" I get kinda angry.

"I have to! Everything that happens here, has to pass by him before any final decisions!" He snapped. And I backed off a bit.

He sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. I wish things could be different." He said. And continued on without me, leaving me to my thoughts.

~~~~~~~

"He snapped at you?!" An angry Katelyn said.

"Yeah, but, it wasn't his fault, I provoked him." I said, slouching down onto the bed. "He just needs space. And time to think. At least that what I hope."

"Well, I'm not doing anything. You wanna hang out with me for the day?" She asks.

"Sure!" We got some things we needed to head out and into the loud building.

"I've also met some friends recently. You wanna meet them?" Katelyn asked.

"Of course!" I said and Katelyn led me to them.

~~~~~~

"Oh, hey, I know you... You were on the hunting trip with us!" A blonde-headed guy said. Now that he said something... I do remember him.

"Oh yeah! I remember!"

"Ah! Here comes Luka!" Katelyn said and we looked in the direction she pointed in. We then spotted a bright pink-haired girl walking to us.

"Hey Luka!" Katelyn said and hugged her.

"Hey girl! Who's this?" The girl pointed to me.

"This is Aphmau! She's the one who bought me here." Katelyn wraps her arm around me.

"Oh! So you're the one who Katelyn's been talking about ever since we met!" She started laughing and flung herself onto Katelyn

"Yeah... Hehe.." Katelyn's face goes red.

Why is she blushing? Hmmm... I think I can guess.

"Hey guys! Can we go get something to eat? I'm starving!" The blonde-haired boy said. I think his name is Garroth...? I think..

"Wait, I thought you work for this place. Aren't you supposed to be like... Guarding it or something?" Luka said to him.

"Nah, they only really want me for hunting. And we don't need to go on another run for awhile. So I'm free!" He said and guided us to the food court.

~~~~~~~~~

"Alright. You can stay. But no funny business." Aaron said to Victor.

After Garroth, Katelyn, Luka and I got done eating I went back to check on Victor. But it looks like Aaron beat me to him.

"Oh, thank you! I promise, you wont be disappointed!" Victor said, and he immediately ran to the lab station to start working.

"That was quick." I said. And Aaron turned to me, not expecting me to be there.

"Yeah. I guess." He shrugged and walked off.

What's his problem?