Chapter 139: Un-Normal-ing Koraco

Start from the beginning

She left him behind again. Frederick seemed to always pause to collect his thoughts before moving on to pester her again with his low, slow voice.

"You and Thérèse were the closest to the lord and lady. If there's anyone that could snap him out of it, in this whole manor, it has to be you."

"I'd rather not overstep my boundaries and get fired. In case you didn't remember, I live here, not in a village. If I get fired from here, I have nowhere else to go."

"I would take care of you."

The nerve...

"I don't need anything from you. I quite wish you would stop following me around."

"I can't do that."

She wasn't just talking about him following her that moment, but following her around in general. In the morning, when the servants ate breakfast; in the afternoon, when they ate lunch; in the night, when they ate dinner. She'd always see him somewhere that a knight shouldn't have been, seeing how he was the son of a noble trying to intermingle with the sons and daughters of peasants.

And every time she saw him, his eyes were on her. Across a room, across a field, across a hall.

"Then leave me alone now. I have to draw a bath for the lord."

"I can use magic. It's not "

"I'm going to the well."

"Then I can heat up the water."

"I don't need you. Don't you have better things to be doing?"

She pushed the trolley inside the kitchen doors, leaving it there to be collected. Someone on duty would wash it.

"No."

She stopped in place. Her brows were fighting with each other again.

Magaris looked up at Frederick. He was said to be the son of a giant, for his height and his strength. Although he was almost plain human, since he was a descendant with the blood of that extinct race. Watching him keep up with the only Elf that was present in Bytriste for thousands of pouriks around, everyone believed it. They were a supernatural duo, and because of his close partnership and friendship with Terrence, he was regarded as a giant's descendant and not human all the more.

"Then go find something else. I will not be anything other than a faithful maid to the lord, because that's all he needs of me. My comments on his appearance and conduct have no place anywhere else than my own head. So no, I will not be attempting anything that you wish of me. Go waste your breath somewhere else."

And she marched. It'd been a while since she'd last spat her words out as such, and it didn't feel good to do, certainly putting red in her cheeks building from anger. Clenching her fists as she walked didn't do anything other than put more heat in her head, so she didn't feel the cold while walking outside into the chilly backside of the manor to fetch some water from the well.

"[Bath Size]."

Another of the littlest lady's charities resided there. Pulling up a glob of water large enough to fill a tub knowingly on the top floor, the maid began to march with it swarming behind her. The well had melted enough for her to take some out, after using "[Winter Heat]."

It had been a silly thing at first, walking with the monstrous lump trailing after a seemingly unaware person, and the village children would sneak over to play with it during the night. The commands set to it were then only for the servants of the house to know, and the children no longer came.