99

7 Most Surprising Etiquette Rules From Around The World

The world is a strange and surprising place. With so many cultures to explore, each with its own set of social rules and unique backgrounds, it's no surprise that what is considered to be acceptable etiquette varies culturally depending on the country, region and tradition.

🎟️Afghanistan: Kiss bread that is dropped on the floor.

In Afghanistan, when bread is dropped on the floor, it's lifted and kissed.

🎟️Canada: Arrive fashionably late.

Showing up fashionably late is socially acceptable in Canada, while showing up on time or early is not.

🎟️Chile: Never eat with your hands.

Chileans always use utensils. It's bad manners to touch any part of your meal with your hands.

🎟️Ethiopia: Eat with your right hand from one plate.

Ethiopians consider it wasteful to eat with utensils, or with more than one plate for a group. Diners share one plate and eat with their right hand. In some parts of Ethiopia, a tradition called 'gursha' is practiced, in which people feed each other.

🎟️France: Use bread as a utensil.

The French never eat bread as an appetizer. Instead, it's eaten with the meal and is used as a utensil to scoop up food off the plate and into your mouth. Bread is even placed directly on the table as a knife or fork would be.

🎟️Italy: Don't put Parmesan on pizza.

If your pizza doesn't have Parmesan on it, it's not a good idea to ask for it (to be put). Putting Parmesan on pizza is considered a culinary sin in Italy.

🎟️Japan: Slurp your food to say 'thank you'.

Slurping, usually when eating noodles or soup, is a sign of appreciation for the chef. In Japan, the louder the slurp, the greater the thanks.