29 。time we met

chapter 29 -
time we met ★彡

"overwhelmed by every little thing, torn apart, unraveled at the seams"

☆*:.。. o♢o .。.:*☆

The distress signal was not like any she had witnessed, frantically, nurses paged her from every clinic, every room and every station, all telling her of the new discovery her partnering doctor had witnessed. She rushed down twelve flights of stairs, having no time to wait for the elevator, red stiletto heels digging into the backs of her ankles as she skipped steps, manicured nails pushing her black curled hair into a tight bun as she frantically checked her buzzing blackberry, reading the new messages flying in.

Damian needs you! Stop what you're doing you need to see this!
Get down to room 649!

The list just kept piling up, and she felt the strain in her face as she braced herself for what the breakthrough in Damian's unresponsive patient could be. He was one of those patients they considered a dead end; they couldn't find ways to help him, because he refused to cooperate, to talk and to listen. The original diagnosis was dissociative identity disorder, but judging the frantic calls Hyejin was receiving, it had to be something more.

She smiled at a nurse who rushed in behind her, handing files and a laptop to her as she strode into the room where Damian sat with his head rested in between his hands, watching the monitors of the patient.

„What has he done?" Hyejin murmured, adjusting her glasses on carefully as she pulled the laptop round and placed it down on the desk, bending down to watch the bright screen as the patient began to tear apart the straitjacket. That mustn't be it, even if it were strange, they'd seen it before.

No. It was what came next that made Hyejin adjust her glasses and zoom in closer to get a better look. „Is that a tail?" Damian waved his hand for her to continue watching. And she turned back in time to see his body covered in fur, and his limbs bent in ways a human's simply should not, she bit her bottom lip, shutting her eyes suddenly at the gruesome sight, opening her eyes slowly a minute or so later to see this silver furred creature laying in the place of a young boy. „Oh shit," was all she could say, turning to Damian who not once tore his eyes from the live screen, the angry beast trapped inside a cage tearing down the walls and howling in agony and distress.

„An hour he's been like this. I can't believe what I saw. I just ... this is fairytale." Hyejin gave him a scarce, disapproving, glance. Then she turned back to the screen and studied the animal a little longer.

„You know this isn't a fairytale, once he's ... turned back, which I assume he will, get a DNA sample, get his blood, test it. I ... I've never seen this before, but surely it's a similar case to Kim ..."

„That boy is not a beast like this -"

„Don't call him a beast!" Hyejin snapped, removing her glasses and turning to the nurses, „Get room 673 ready, we can't keep him in this one after he's safe again. I'm giving you one chance now to back out of this case, because what your dealing with is no normal patient." She met the eyes of every medical professional in the room, all straightening their shoulders and keeping a firm gaze in their eyes. „You are going to help this boy. Like we did before, maybe he's a little trickier, but he needs our help, okay?"

„Yes Ahn," chorused the voices, and she smiled as she watched them all rush to work, some skittering down the halls with gloves and spray, preparing the new room for their very important patient. Once she knew everyone was confident with their work, she turned to Damian who was jotting down his observations of the wolf's behaviour in his notes.