Expanding The Family Tree

"Everything ok?" Crystal had gone awfully quiet as I eyed her looking at her phone. Once I said her name her head shot up out of it's daze.

"Um, yeah. If you all would please excuse me, I need to leave to attend a meeting. Um, keys?"

Silently Kyoya handed them over and with a quick wave she slipped out the doors.

"Why do you both keep calling her Crystal?" Kaoru asked once she left.

"She told me to call her that," I shrugged,

"What about you?" I directed to Tamaki. If he had a reason then I wouldn't have to waste one of my remaining questions later.

"Hm, that's just what I've always called her. That how her dad introduced us."

"You've met her dad?" I asked surprised.

"Well yes. I remember him being very kind. Granted I haven't seen the man since I was around eight or so."

"What about her mom?" The twins asked with peeked interest.

"I don't know. I've only ever seen her, she never talked to me."

"I thought she used to like have play dates with you or something, you never ran into her or anything?" I questioned confused.

Tamaki just shrugged, "From what I hear she's a very busy woman. I don't think talking to an illegitimate heir was exactly her top priority, Haruhi."

With that I let the subject drop.

"Anyways, I know she must be tough on Crystal. I can remember when we were younger that she never wanted to leave me to go home, to see her I mean. I guess she's strict."

With that the topic dropped all together, with nothing else to discuss Kyoya dismissed us to leave. The twins of course darting away to do who knows what leaving Tamaki and I to lag behind.

"You don't have to walk with me senpai, I think I can manage to get out on my own."

"Nonsense, I don't mind. My car isn't going anywhere."

Silence lulled over us which I was content with, but of course there was something on his mind.

"Say Haruhi, how did she find out, you know, about you being a girl and all."

"Oh, yesterday I ran into her on my way home. She didn't have her keys or phone so I let her stay at my place for the night, dad let it slip."

"Right... Thank you."

"Thank you? For what?" I came to a halt in the abandoned hall way and he quickly did the same.

"For letting her stay with you and I guess in a sense letting her find out. If she hadn't I doubt she would have ever agreed to talk to me or see me, she wouldn't be getting involved with the club, so thank you for that."

"You really care about her," I don't know why but as I heard it aloud my heart seemed to drop.

"Well yes. I guess I just want to help her, I've been in class with her for almost four years now. She's always chosen to do solo assignments instead of group projects, I can't remember seeing her at our class mates birthday parties. Not once have I heard her laugh in the past four years, she was there that entire time and I didn't even know it."

"You feel guilty."

"Guilty," slight surprise laced his voice, "Yeah, I guess I do. Maybe that's why I'm trying so hard now, just to ease my guilty conscious."

"I don't think so, senpai."

"Why do you say that?"

"You're a good person, sure you get carried away sometimes, but you mean well. I don't think you're trying to help her selfishly, but if you do think that just remember you tried to help her before you recognized her. You threw her a ball, Tamaki senpai, that's a bit nuts."

"Well when you say it like that... Come on, Haruhi. I'll give you a ride home today."

"You don't have to do that, I can walk!"

"Come on, just this once!"

"That's what you said last time, senpai."

"Just accept it. Think of it as my way of thanking you for hosting my sister."

Sister, huh? I guess our host club family is growing again.