A Favor

"Your date?" I repeated back, surely I misheard him.

"Yes, my date."

"But... Wait, what?"

With a sigh he crossed his arms, though immediately one hand raised to adjust his glasses before explaining.

"My father is insisting that my brother and I escort someone at the gala."

Obviously my confused look hadn't diminished and again after adjusting his glasses he continued on in more detail.

"Considering our friendship I thought that it would be best to ask you to accompany me. This way I don't have to worry about my date getting the wrong idea, I'm sure rumors will follow and having to deal with some romance frenzied girl isn't exactly on the top of my wish list."

"Rumors? And really? I mean, are you sure I'm the best fit for this?"

He just looked at me for a moment as if I had sprouted another or head of stated the sky was pink. "Akari, you're the only daughter and heiress to the Sakahashi group. You more than exceed my father's expectations for this event, our families relationship also adds to it. You're possibly the best fit there is."

Warily I eyed him, I mostly believed him, but something is missing here. I can't be the only one who fits the criteria, he say his father had a list once which means multiple names.

"You're leaving something out. And what about the rumors, Ootori? Don't think I didn't notice you glossing over that part."

"The rumors may actually be a good thing, if people were to see us together and make the assumption we were dating or-"

"Then your father's impatience with the whole arranged marriage thing will cool off. That's where you're going with this, right? You can't just take anyone because just anyone isn't good enough for him, you need someone who would appear useful for him and your family," I concluded as I finally put it all together.

"Correct."

A sudden wave of exhaustion hit me and I flopped back and melted into the sofa.

"Your date huh?..." I let my hand drag through my hair in a contemplative gesture before dropping the ice pack to my lap.

Alright, let's break this down.

Pros, mother might get wind of it and cool it on the whole marriage thing too. Plus I'd get added bonus points for going of my own free will.

Cons, I'd have to deal with the gossip and rumors that would form around us, but that's not too terrible I can deal with it. I'd have to most likely meet his family, but then again they are my future clients and business acquaintances so this might be a good move for that. I'd have to dress up, but nothing I haven't done before.

"Alright, I'm in. I'll be your date for the gala."

"You're sure?" The slight surprise I heard in his voice made me just a tad bit happy, it was rare to hear it and to also have been the one to cause it.

"Yes, I'm sure. This could work out for me as well, plus that's what friends are for, right?"

And so I had agreed to go as Kyoya's formal and official date. We both immediately agreed to keep it from Tamaki and the others, knowing him he'd try to get involved and that would just result in a big headache. Besides, I already have quite a large issue that needs to be addressed that's been plagueing me leading up to this gala thing for the past week.

Taking my moment of opportunity I sprung out of the closet. Quickly grabbing Hikaru and Kaoru by the sleeve, flinging them into the janitor's storage space and slamming the door shut.