Goodbye

LaMelo

I was in my room making sure I had everything I wanted to take to Lithuania. "There's someone here who wants to see you." My mom peaks her head inside my room.

I haven't been in the mood to talk to anyone lately. I only talk to my family, but even then, I only say a few words at a time.

I walk to the living room to see who was waiting for me. "Hey Melo."

"Hey Dominique." I said blankly, "What are you doing here?" Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see her, but I wasn't expecting for her to be here.

"I just wanted to say goodbye, and to give you this." She hands me an ultrasound picture. I smile at it,"Only a few more months to go."

"Too bad he's ready to come out now." She laughs holding on to her belly. "Feel him for yourself." She grabs my hand and places it were hers was.

It took a moment, but then I felt him give a hard kick. "Damn he's really wants to get out of there." I laugh.

I bend over, "Daddy wants you to be good for mommy okay jr." I continue to talk to him, "I'll be back really soon." I rub her belly again.

"And we want daddy to play well and stay safe because we love him." Dom looks down at me, "I'm gonna miss you." She tell me.

I stand back up, "I'm gonna miss you too." We looked at each other, not saying anything. "It's not too late for you to come with us. You can catch a the next available flight."

"Melo I already told you I couldn't do that." She shakes her head. "We just said we're going to miss each other, so why go through that pain when we don't need to?"

"Because we need time away from each other. It may not feel good, but when we get back together it will."

"That's if we ever get back together." I tell her. "Hey don't say that."

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what I would do if I were to come home ready to be a family, but then see you with someone else." I confess.

"Do you remember what you said when you gave me my promise ring?" I think back to the very eventful thanksgiving,"Yeah I accidentally told your whole family that you were pregnant."

"That did happen," She laughs, "but you told me that this ring was to show me how much you believe in us. That one day we're gonna get married, and if you meant those words, then you have nothing to worry about."

I did mean every last one of those words. I know for a fact that one day we will get married and there's nothing to worry about.

"What if I miss jr's birth?"

"You won't miss anything LaMelo. Everything will go as it should, but you need to trust that it will."

"Melo we're leaving in fifteen minutes!" My dad calls out from wherever he is. "I guess it's time to say goodbye." I automatically start thinking of Chris Brown,"It's never the right time to say-"

"Boy you know you can't sing." Dom laughs at my terrible singing. "You're going to miss my terrible singing."

"I'm going to miss everything about you." She starts getting emotional, so hug her and don't let go. "I'll be back in no time."

"I'm so proud of you." I can tell by her voice that she was crying, "I love you LaMelo." She looks up to me and we both move in for a kiss,"I love you too."

I let go of her so she can leave, "I'll see you five months." She smiles wiping away her tears. "I'll see you in five months." I wave goodbye as she leaves.

I get a notification that Dom tagged me in a video, so I go to Instagram to see what it is.

162,302 views Liked by gelo and dmoney1401
Dom I didn't know how to tell you this without breaking out in tears. We know you're gonna do great things in Lithuania and can't wait until you get back. I love you @Melo 💞
Comments disabled

I watched the video and it made me tear up. "Son are you ready?" My dad comes in the house. I wipe my eyes trying to keep the tears from falling, "Yeah I'm ready."

"What's wrong?" He asked looking at my puffy face, "Nothing I'm fine." I get up trying to walk out the door but he stops me. "We're not going anywhere, until you tell me what's wrong."

I knew he was being serious, so I showed him the video. "We decided to take a break and figure out what we want to do after I come back." I explain to him after it ends.

"And you didn't want that?" I shake my head, "No I didn't, but I messed up caused Dom to make that decision." I sighed, "She told me not worry, but I don't want her to move on during the time that I'm gone."

"Eat me tell you something son," My dad puts his arm around my shoulder, "Sometimes the best thing you can do is not obsess and not overthink. Just believe that what's meant to be, will be."

My dad was right. I couldn't have this thought in the back mind 24/7. Right now I have to focus on basketball and have faith that Dom and I will go back to how we once were.

Well, that is the end of this story. I hope you all enjoyed it. 💖