The Unpleasent Ball

2 Weeks Later

I checked my mailbox for the fourth time today. Surprisingly, I found a fancy letter in there. It looked official.

I tore it open, inside it said,

Dearest Irene Holmes,

You have been personally invited to the grand king's ball. It will occur on Sunday, January 4th at the king's palace from 5:00 P.M. to 12:00 A.M. Please RSVP by December 31st.

Yours Sincerely,

King Edmund

Then there were a bunch of fancy signatures. Hands trembling, I walked inside the house. It was December 27th. I had five days to RSVP, but I didn't plan on going.

That night, I sat in my bed sketching. The letter was placed on my nightstand. Edgar walked in and sat on my bed staring at my drawing. He looked up and noticed the letter.

"Edgar don't!" I screamed, reaching to slap his hand. He moved it too quick and read the letter.

"I want to go." He demanded

I stuttered "But-"

"You will not socialize with other men, got it?" He demaned

"Why?" I asked

"It makes me jealous." He explained in an irritated tone.

I gave up arguing. It was hard to change his mind about social events like this.

8 Days Later

I stood in a fancy blue gown. I didn't particularly like it, but I just didn't want to argue.

We walked to the palace. Edgar wore a fancy suit which he found in one of the secret rooms. I hung my head low, trying not to be noticed.

As soon as we got there. Edgar spotted some noblewomen ghosts and took off flirting with them. I felt angry, but I kept calm. I didn't want to be noticed. All I wanted was to blend in. The ballroom was large, with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. An orchestra was playing. I didn't want to try my flute out of my fear of failure. I sat down at one of the tables and put my head down.

"So, you let the boy come." I heard a voice sneer. The voice belonged to Lucy.

"Are you here to kill him?" I growled quietly.

"Ha! you take me for a fool!"Lucy laughed. "are you so dense?" Lucy chuckled.

"Why are you here?" I asked slowly getting out of my chair.

"Why, I am the king's apprentice and heir." Lucy scoffed. She tugged my arm down into my seat. Her red gown glimmered.

"I'll let you off once." Lucy scowled and she was off. I lost control of myself.

Suddenly time stood still, literally. Nobody moved except me. I was scared. What is happening I thought. Then everything went back to normal. I went into a daze again. When I regained my sense, Edgar was kissing a women's hand.

I got angered and stormed out the door. He could have all the women he wanted I thought. I found a tavern. Not thinking, I went in to drink. It was noisy, very noisy. Bums were yelling and drinking. I was too angry to be cautious.

"Irene!" I heard someone yell, it was Edgar.

"Let's get you out of here and back to the ball." He demanded, tugging my good arm.

"No!" I screamed and kicked him in the shin.

"OUCH! I AM TAKING YOU HOME THEN." he yelled, dragging me out the door as we went home.

When we got home, he explained everything and asked me questions about the ball. I put my head down, regardless of what he said I would not believe him.