My Punishment

I woke up the next morning to sun. I didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't want to go. I just wanted this whole mess to be a dream, but I had no choice. I got out of bed and walked to the window. It was snowing, children were playing. I stared at them. Snowball fights, snowmen and hot chocolate, I remembered doing that when I was little, except I just sat on my computer all day. It has been eons since I touched my phone. 4 Years doesn't seem like a long time, but it is.

Irene, it is ridiculous how easily you get distracted, get ready. I groaned. I put on my most formal dress and my army jacket with all of those bronze buttons. Then I grabbed a scarf , my warm boots, brown cap and warm pair of gloves. As I stepped out the door, I wondered what they will do to me.

Palms sweating, I walked in the office. I brought my pocket watch and stared at the time. Eight-Twenty-Nine. A man walked in. He was fat with gray hair a girl walked in behind him. I knew exactly who it was. Lucy Walker. She had a smirk on her face as she looked at me. I shot a dirty look.

"Miss-what shall I call you?" he asked. Lucy looked at him and smile. I was about to answer when she interupted.

"Mr. Stone, Her name is Irene Holmes." she looked at me and batted her eyelashes all innocent-like. Lucy wanted me dead so badly. I felt like punching her in the face so badly.

"Well, Miss. Holmes why did you steal the goods." Mr.Stone grabbed his quill and ink. I figured honesty wouldn't hurt, at least I could actually do that.

"I stole those goods out of desparation, you see I needed those items for my shop." I explained. Mr.Stone looked up.

"Lucy, would you go get me some tea, extra sugar." She fled the room. Mr.Stone looked at me.

"I don't plan to give you any harsh punishment, but something must be done." He explained. I nodded, knowing this was true.

"Therefore, I must strip you of your business and you shall work in the jail.

I nearly fainted. My bussiness, I needed it. I felt like crying, but I kept the emotions inside and just nodded.

"Yes sir."

It may not seem bad to you, but working where the deadliest criminals live frightened me.

The next morning was the day when I begun. I tried to make myself unnoticable. I wore a simple gray dress. When I looked in the mirror I looked as unnoticeable as I could get. I was fairly pretty, but often tried to make myself ugly.

I walked into the prison. Stomach churning, palms sweaty I walked up to the man holding the keys.

"Umm excuse me." I whispered to the man

Oh you could do better than that.