Four Letters

Chapter 34:

"Colton, why did you want me to come to the cemetery with you today?" Ava looked up from his parents' graves. Colton took both of her hands in his, bringing her to stand closer to him.

"Well, I was going to bring you that day, but if you recall, things got a little hectic," he explained.

"I remember," she exhaled. It was the same day Cade confronted Colton. The day the brothers said their goodbyes.

"But I also wanted to bring you here so that my parents could properly meet my beautiful girlfriend," he planted a kiss on her lips, making her blush.

"Do you think they've been watching over you? And Cade?" Ava wondered.

"I do. And I think they've watched how you've changed me. Wouldn't you say I'm a much nicer guy now?" he winked.

"Eh, sometimes," she shrugged, releasing a melodious giggle.

"I think they would have loved you," Colton smiled, and Ava could feel his palms getting sweatier, "Just as much as I do."

Ava's eyes widened. Did he just?

"I love you, Ava Rhodes," he gave her hands a gentle squeeze.

"I love you too, Colton Blackwell."

7 MONTHS LATER:

"Hey, babe," Colton pulled Ava onto his lap, "How was school?"

"Junior year is the worst," she pouted and nuzzled her face into his neck.

"You know what's better? College calculus," he snickered.

"Shut up!" she swatted him, "Can't you let me complain for five minutes?"

The sudden chime of the doorbell caught the couple's attention.

"Nose goes," Colton said, his pointer finger already resting on the tip of his nose.

"Oh, come on!" Ava groaned as she trudged toward the door.

"Can I help y—" Ava's knees went weak as she stared into a pair of familiar brown eyes.

"Ava?" Colton called, "Who is it?" He rose from his seat and sauntered over to his trembling girlfriend.

"Cade?" Colton gulped.

"I found Kai Madden. I need your help."