You Don't Trust Me, and I Don't Trust You

Chapter 15:

"Guns?"

"Check."

"Knives?"

"Check."

"Rope?"

"Check."

Dominic and Quentin took inventory of everything in the black duffle that sat on the kitchen table. On the side was a strip of tape with 'In Case of Cade,' written on it in black sharpie.

Ava and Dakota sat on the couch, eating popcorn, and watching "The Princess Diaries."

"Are we ready?" Colton came into the room, his strong cologne drawing Ava's attention.

"Let's do this," Zeke opened the front door, and as the boys headed to the car one by one, he turned back around, "Don't. Leave."

He pointed at Ava and Dakota for emphasis, then shut the door behind them.

As soon as the car was no longer in sight, Ava and Dakota rushed upstairs.

Ava had told her parents she was spending the night at a friend's house, which wasn't entirely a lie, considering she had planned to stay with the gang overnight.

She slipped on a little black dress, which clung tight to her upper body, but became flowy once it reached her hips, ending a few inches above her knees. She slid into a pair of black converse and removed her hair from the ponytail it was in. Her brown waves tumbled down over her shoulders, which she then tucked behind her ears so she could do her eye makeup.

"Perfect!" Dakota clapped as Ava revealed her final look, "Go get 'em!"

Ava raced down the driveway and into her car, ignoring the nervous feeling she got whenever she was alone in the neighborhood.

Ava parked a few blocks away from the party, making sure that her car was nowhere near the Escalade. She slipped through the front entrance, using the drunk crowd of upperclassmen to keep her from being seen by Colton and company.

"Hey," a deep voice stunned her, making her bump into a half-naked tipsy girl.

Finn gave her a quick hug, but even after he pulled away, he kept his arm over her shoulder.

She could tell that he had been drinking, but he definitely wasn't drunk.

"Want to go somewhere quieter?" he shouted.

"What?" Ava couldn't hear him over the music and the chatter.

"Do you want to go somewhere quieter?" he repeated, this time leaning in closer to her ear.

She nodded, and he took her hand, leading her to the stairs. On the way, though, she caught a glimpse of Dominic and Quentin munching on pizza in the kitchen. She ducked her head, hoping they hadn't seen her.

Ava followed Finn up the stairs, and he opened one of the many bedroom doors.

"Oh, um not that one..." he laughed, leading her down the hall to a bedroom with an open door.

The room had a neutral color scheme, with beige walls and wooden furniture. A queen-sized bed dominated the room, topped with a dark brown duvet.

"This is better," he exhaled, sitting down on the bed.