We're Family

Chapter 28:

A gust of wind howled over the silence as Ava stared down her parents.

"Mom, Dad, we need to talk," she stood tall, confident, ready to take back her own life.

"I was kidnapped. I was left alone in a frigid, blank room, about the same size as the one you've been keeping me in."

Her mother's hand shot up to her mouth, and she shook her head, trying to banish the thoughts of her daughter in that traumatizing situation.

"You can't keep me locked up, isolated. I need my life back. I need my friends, and my boyfriend," she looked back at Colton, who gave her a reassuring nod, "I need you two to accept what happened and help me move forward."

"How can we accept that, Ava? How can we move past the fact that our little girl was taken from us?" Ava's dad choked up.

"Because I'm right here, Dad. I'm going to finish high school, go to college, get married, and start a family. I'm looking forward, so please, look forward with me."

The family of three held each other, crying and laughing and kissing one another.

It reminded Colton of the past, the way his family used to support each other. But now, Colton had a different family, one that probably needed that right now.

"You're still here," Colton pushed open the door to Dakota's bedroom.

"I don't have anywhere else to go, Colton," Dakota's fresh tears following the trails of those that had already dried up.

He sighed, then sunk to the floor to sit beside Dakota. She eyed him warily as he rested his back against the wall.

"Why, Kota?" was all he said as he stared up at the ceiling.

"I know he's not in love with me. It's just...The way he looks at me, his eyes, they control me. I can't explain it," Dakota knew he wanted a clearer answer, but she didn't have one.

"It's funny," Colton met her gaze, "Ava hated my eyes, too. She told me they gave her nightmares at the beginning. Must be a Blackwell thing." Colton chuckled, but Dakota's jaw dropped, shocked that he was handling this conversation so lightly.

"You are family, Dakota. You really, really fucked up. But Ava thinks you can be redeemed. She sees the best in everyone, even me."

"She's good for you, Colt. The light to your dark, I suppose," Dakota gave him a half smile.

"I'm going to kill Cade. Hear me this time when I tell you, you will not be involved. At all," he ordered as he lifted himself off the ground.

"I understand," Dakota nodded.