9. Is it love?

Y/N's POV

Bus journeys became pleasant once again, with me and Joshua talking and sitting with one another now. Though it would still get awkward when that clingy mystery woman, I saw him with the other time, would recognise us in town or something.
I still didn't know who she was, or why she seemed to comfortable with Joshua, she even had a pet name for him, 'Joshie'. I silently cringed.
I was just sitting on the bus next to Joshua, looking out the window, pondering about this person. Now would be a good time to ask since we're friends again.
I cleared my throat, watching him slowly turn his head towards me.
"Hmm?" He hummed in response.
I really didn't want to be awkward about this.
"So umm, you know that..uhh..g-girl..." great, awkward much.
But his brows just furrowed in confusion.
"Y/N, I hate to break it to you, but there are many 'girls', and I don't know all of them- despite my looks." He smirked.
I hit his arm and carried on with my sentence.
"No, what I'm trying to say is you know the girl, with blonde hair-ugh," he still looked confused so I just thought fuck it.
"You know, the clingy bitch who's always screaming your name every time she recognises you in public, or how when she sees you she sticks to you like gum on the bottom of your shoe! How when we're having a pleasant conversation or peaceful stroll, she coincidentally turns up and kind of becomes your shadow, never leaving you over a 10cm distance. You know, the one who makes up weird pet names like 'Joshie'?!" At this point I was quietly shouting at him, as we were still on the bus, but I needed him to realise who I was talking about.
He just looked at me lost, still. I sighed in defeat. Just as I thought I'd finally get an answer, but no, he just has to be too dense to realise I'm talking about the stalker stranger we come across literally everyday.
Then his eyes widened in realisation.
"Ohhh! I know who your talking about. Her name is Sara." He smirked again.
Wait, why is he smirking, did I do something wrong, or is it because we're talking about 'Sara'. Wait, he only started smirking when Sara's name was mentioned. Does mentioning her name make him smile? Does he like her name? More importantly, does he like her?

Joshua's POV

I sat across Y/N, watching her get lost in her thoughts once again.
This is too easy.
I can tell she's thinking about Sara.
Probably why I'm smirking.
But I know one thing for sure. She's jealous. Her face reads plain jealousy. I could even hear it in her voice when she was explaining.
I knew who she was talking about as soon as she said 'blonde girl', I'm constantly paranoid whenever those two words are mentioned, the fear of this specific blonde girl coming out of nowhere, as usual, and harassing me.
But I played dumb because I wanted to see where this was going, what her views were. And I'm quite amused, that's why I'm smirking, but I don't think I'll tell her that just yet.

Y/N's POV

I looked up at Joshua once I realised I was zoning out, he was still smirking.
"What! What are you smirking about?" I asked, clearly showing my annoyance.
But his smirk just spread into a grin.
"Someone's jealousssss."  He cooed at me, clearly mocking me.
"Okay fine! Yes! But only because she annoys me and doesn't deserve your friendship." I mumbled, just wanting to clear the jealousy topic. I guess he got the hint as he decided to drop it aswell.
"Well, if you must know, she's an old friend, from my previous school, actually." He said.
I was actually quite curious, so I urged him to go on by looking at him, waiting for him to continue.
But I saw him take a deep breath, as his playful expression changed to a more serious one, also lowering his voice.
"You see, a few years ago, back at my old school, she was like the 'queen' of our school. Any guy would instantly fall for her, and she made out like she was snow white, innocent and pretty. Well, maybe on the outside." His expression was grim, but he carried on.
"My friend, Mingyu, he had a thing for her, and he was planning on confessing. Obviously me, being his friend encouraged him, I didn't really see anything special about Sarah anyways. But in the cafeteria on the day he confesses, she just made a big fool out of him by rejecting him. To make matters worse he fled the cafeteria, but I was there witnessing it. And what I didn't expect it that she turned around to me, and- and confessed...to me." His voice still had a hint of disbelief, like he was having a hard time believing it himself. But I really hadn't expected this.
"Well, did you accept?!" This information was crucial, if he had a thing with her, I'd have to question him, and his taste.
"W-what! No, of course not! That bitch just embarrassed my best friend, I wouldn't stab him in the back and go out with her instead."
I was quite disappointed that he only called her a bitch, nothing else-
"Besides, she's nowhere near my style." He added.
-and there it is.
I was kind of relieved hearing that. I don't know why.
"So, why has she come back?" I questioned, still curious as to her return.
"Well, you see, I don't know. That's what's killing me too. I only moved schools with Mingyu because of her. People started bullying him, her fans, and it was just getting too much. I'd' ve thought she'd hate me for rejecting her, but she seems perfectly fine. And now she just comes out of nowhere, expecting to be in my life once again." He frowned.
He looked so cute, I couldn't resist pinching his cheeks.
He looked at me with a face of shock and surprise.
"I'm sorry it's just when you frown it's too cute." I smiled.
He smiled back, and sighed. I sighed with him, and got up, since this was our stop.

We walked home together, jus chatting more about Sara, we walked to my house, since my parents wouldn't be home until late, and it was a Friday, meaning Joshua could stay over late.
At we turned the corner, we were just discussing what we were gonna watch in our drama marathon, seen as we both enjoyed them, me a bit more. But as we reached my gate, I noticed something on the front door.
It was a piece of paper, with some messy handwriting scribbled onto it, like it had been done last minute in a rush.
I walked up to it with Joshua behind me, his facial expression mirrored mine, confusion, surprise, and a tinge of fear.
As I came closer, I saw that it read:

Y/N,
You got lucky this time as it seems you were out, but your luck will run out. We gave your place a little inspection just in case you wanted to play hide and seek, but seems you were still out having fun with your boy toy.
Know that you aren't safe, so stay away from Joshua, or you'll both get hurt.
I'm always keeping an eye on you, and keep your eyes open.
I can't wait to meet you, you'll finally be able to see the face behind these threats!
We'll meet soon.
~S.

I looked at Joshua with pure terror in my eyes, his only held worry. I then looked at the door to notice it was open, so they really did enter.
I swung the door open, and scanned the interior, it seemed untouched, maybe they had the decency to tidy up after themselves. Or they never entered in the first place.
I heaves a sigh of relief, and took time to get over my shock, how could things get worse. Me and Joshua have only just become friends again, and someone is out there to get us again. I almost wanted to cry, because all these thoughts were piling up on me.
That's when I felt something warm wrap around each side of my waist. Then someone whisper in my ear "I'm here, it's ok."
Joshua.
I sighed.
As long as he was here everything was gonna be ok. We were gonna be ok.
He rested his chin on my shoulder. I liked this closeness. I needed this comfort.
I swivelled around so that I was facing him, and buried my head in his chest.
Without even knowing, my eyes were letting out the tears I'd been holding in. And before I knew it, I was sobbing, letting all my problems and worries escape me, because in Joshua's arms,
I knew, we were gonna be ok.

Joshua's POV

I patted her head soothingly, trying to calm her down. I'd never really seen this side of her before, completely broken down, and how it made me feel like shit. Knowing I couldn't cuddle her, and make her worries go away, how I couldn't hold her hand whilst we were walking, to remind her that I'll always be by her side.
That I'll never leave her.
Because I think I like her.
Scratch that I love her.
And I won't let anything happen to her.
Y/N, I will protect you, I promise, I will never leave you.