Chapter 42 - It really is over!

Chrissy met Henry at the decided time and place the next day. He was waiting at the gate of the house when Chrissy arrived and they both went in together. Chrissy couldn't understand why Henry would want to buy a house in North Hampton but decided to keep her curiosity to herself. The less she involved herself in their life, the better it was for her.

So she concentrated her thoughts on the house in the question. It was a large mansion with multiple rooms spread over on two floors. There was a grand sitting area, a separate drawing room, a living area and a large dining room on the ground floor. The bedrooms were on the second floor. After few rooms of the first floor, Chrissy had actually lost the count.

The beautifully crafted staircase in the central landing lead to the second floor. While it was all very impressive, Chrissy was wondering why Henry and his mother would need such a big house in this place. Just as she was going around the living room, Henry mobile phone rang. He picked up and said excitedly, "Hello Mom, yes yes, you won't believe what happened!"

Chrissy looked up at him in alarm, worrying he might be about to tell Mrs Clark about her. She quickly rushed to him and tried to stop him mid-sentence. Henry looked up to see a worried Chrissy. She placed her finger on her lips to signal him not to talk about her. Getting her message, Henry stopped what he was about to say and improvised it, "Uh.. Yes, Mom. I found the place. This is just as you wanted. I am sure Nik would love it."

Henry went on to explain the mansion but Chrissy couldn't recollect any of it later. She froze the moment she heard him say Nikloi's name. This was for Nik.. Nikloi? She feared mentally.

Why was God so cruel to her? Why would everything come back to that one person she wanted to forget?

It was not easy. Not a single day. But she had hoped with time the pain would ease. She didn't need any reminder of him or his houses. She laughed at the irony of her life. She had again landed up in Nikloi's house, well sort of, without knowing it was his place! How could life deal her same embarrassment twice? She whined internally.

So was she lost in being frozen, she didn't notice Henry was through with his call. He came to her and patted on her shoulder to bring her back to present. "What happened to you?" He asked on seeing the lost look on her face.

Chrissy quickly tried to recover from her lapse. "ah.. nothing. Nothing important. You tell me. You were talking to Mrs Clark?" she asked to change his focus.

"Yes, this is all her idea. She wants to gift this place to Nikloi as a wedding present", Henry answered her innocently. He had no idea what pain his words were causing to her.

Nikloi was getting married!

Married!

She thought she shouldn't be affected so much with this news. After all they were never meant for each other. Whatever they had between them was over that painful night. So why was she letting this news hurt her so much.

And even though he was not the marrying kind, he had to do it one day or the other. That is how it worked in his circle. They married for business or status or money or all of it.

Or did he find someone to fall in love with?

It was too much to bear inside. She also had no clue that Henry was watching her closely, her white face, and her state of shock. Realizing she had been silent for too long and he was expecting her to say something, Chrissy couldn't help but ask, "Oh Mr Swaroski is getting married. Do I know the bride?" She voiced her fears.

She tried to cover her anxieties and act as normal as possible under the given circumstances. She had turned away from Henry, looking outside the window as if she was interested in the garden outside. But the fact was she didn't want Henry to see her emotions on her face.