Chapter 15

Chrissy felt the emptiness of the room with him leaving but she decided this was for the best. She wanted to forget everything about the night and just go back to being the Chrissy she was before she met him. She lied down on the bed again but sleep was nowhere to come. Every time she tried to close her eyes, she could see Susan in his arms. She kept telling herself that it should not affect her, he was nobody to him but her heart had a different understanding. The more she tried to push that memory away, the more it caused her the pain.

She was not sure if Nikloi was still outside or had left for the night. She was not even sure what time it was. For long sleep kept eluding her but finally the day's stress caught up with her body. She drifted into sleep thinking that Nikloi would have left for his home by now.

During the night sometime she heard some voices from the drawing room of the suite but her body refused to wake up. May be the medicines doctor had given her were finally working and she continued to sleep. Sometime she also felt someone come up to her bed and sat next to her. She wasn't sure if it was Nikloi or Henry or just her imagination. While she was in a deep slumber, she kept seeing images of Nikloi and herself and Henry and Susan throughout the night.

When she did wake up after the long rest, it was bright and sunny outside. She heard voices from the drawing room. Though she was still in her last night gown, completely ruined by now, she was feeling quite rested and much better than last night. Mrs. Clark walked in the room and seeing her awake, quickly come up to her.

"How are you feeling now, dear?", she asked concernedly.

"I am fine, Mrs. Clark", replied, Chrissy.

"I was so worried for you last night. All of us were. And to see you go through such pain because of the food at my party. I was mortified!" Mrs. Clark cried sitting next to her on the bed.

"Pls don't think like that. It was not your fault. I may have caught the weather", Chrissy tried to pacify her.

"No, my child. Doctor checked you last night and said it was a case of food adulteration. He suspects your sickness was because something was added to your food or drink since none of the other people present in the party had this problem", Mrs. Clark explained sadly.

"why would anyone do that? I hardly knew anybody at the party", Chrissy asked surprisingly.

"I don't know Chrissy and that's what is upsetting me so much. There were only close friends invited yesterday", she replied. Chrissy didn't know what to say. She was too confused herself. When she said nothing, Mrs. Clark added, "I could hardly sleep after that. And I never wanted to leave your side. But Nikloi and Henry wouldn't let me stay. Doctor said I should not stress. Oh but I had organized the party especially for you and I wanted you to have a wonderful time. Instead all this happened!" She was clearly distressed.

Chrissy took both her hands in her hands and said, "You mustn't blame yourself, Mrs. Clark. It wasn't your fault. Plus I did enjoy the party very much". She lied but she didn't want the old lady to be upset any more. "And I am feeling all right today. See!" she said getting up from the bed.

"Ah your dress! Didn't you change last night?" She asked knowing the answer fully well. "These boys should have told me or asked one of the ladies in the staff to help you. I shouldn't have left", she added disapprovingly.

"It's ok, Mrs. Clark. You mustn't very about these things. I was comfortable last night and that's what matters, isn't it? She asked smilingly.

"Yes, that's right. This is Nikloi's room and I knew this was the best place for you because his staff would ensure you were properly taken care of. He even stayed outside in the drawing room, just in case you needed any help during the night. Henry dear stayed the night with me saying I needed attending too", Mrs Clark informed smiling.