Chapter 8

"Nerd?"

Was the first thing that I heard once Jacob had slipped Mom and I into his home. It hadn't phased me a bit since I was used to it, but it hadn't had the same effect since now my Daddy was permanently gone from further abuse and there were killers still out there who may want my blood on their hands.

I just kept my stroll into the place, acting as if I hadn't heard the name slip out of a guy's mouth, but I froze once it had popped into my head who's voice that had belonged to.

"James," I whispered, suddenly feeling his burning gaze of anger ripple my fragile flesh on the side of my face, causing goosebumps to also appear.

"WHY THE F*** IS THERE A NERD IN MY HOUSE!"

Of course he lived here, of course he was related to Jacob, of course I had to stay with these two idiots until my Mom would let us buy a place of our own. OF COURSE.

"Jamie!" I heard a femanine voice scold. "What have your Father and I told you about that mouth of yours? Go scrub your mouth out with soap this instant!"

I was surprised. Never in my 3 years of high school have I ever seen James Dunwell ever get scolded this way by his mother. And was his last name even Dunwell or was he just adopted and his parents hadn't bothered to change his last name?

And did she just call him Jamie?

"Mom, we have guests," Jacob interrupted their moment from behind me. "Their house was burnt down, so I had decided to let them stay over until the repairs were done."

I finally decided to awkwardly turn around to the scene of the family to meet a scowling James, a beaming woman, and a frowning Jacob. And seemingly my Mother was no where to be found.

"O-Oh, I am terribly sorry for my son and I's little moment there. Please, forgive us," she beamed even wider, causing suspicion to grow in the darkest pits of my half empty stomach. "I'll have James escourt you to your room as an apology."

This in turn had caused James to suck his teeth and Jacob to oddly huff in annoyance. I had just ignored it, but had put it on my suspision list so that I was able to grow closer to the answer once I had put them all toghether in the end.

"Mom, that's bull-"

"If I hear another word from you, I'll have you scrub the floors," she hissed. "Now do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal," he grumbled, soon storming off up the thousands of stairs.

I was about to follow him until the woman interrupted my movements from going any further.

"Please, take the elevator. Take it up to floor 4-" she continued her beam as she grasped my arm with her hand, causing me to flinch from her tight grip. I was thankful that James' loud groan had interrupted her from painfully tugging me any further.

I was wincing from the fact that One, she was holding my arm too tight - as in tighter than I was use to - and Two, she was clenching tightly on my numerous scars and bruises from before.

I quickly got out of her grasp and practically ran to the elevator, not caring if it was either rude or if I had looked insane by the action. All I had wanted was time alone, time to recollect my thoughts AWAY from eveyone, every single person that was insane in my eyes.

I smashed my finger on the 4, pressing on it rapidly and repeatly with wide eyes that was full of fear. Right now, I went into full instinctive mode, which meant that I wasn't in control with my fearful movements, so if I had somehow broken your neck...too bad.

Once I had heard the loud ding ring through my eardrums, causing me to flinch at the sudden ring, but had reluctantly trudged my feet out of the elevator, sweat starting to stick at my temple, hands rapidly trembling.