Prologue

The building appeared to be old and eerie. Its chocolate bricked walls, an aid in the school's favor from collapsing, was beginning to chip from the excessive abuse of uneducated humans.

There was always a first time for everything. In my favor, just as every privileged child, had the ability to go to Elementary School. It's building surrounded by tall children, fearlessly scurrying around the schoolyard, scrambling to their destination.

Filled with butterflies, I was anxious. I mean, how could I not? It is the first time I have ever gone to school in my life. As soon as my foot had stepped onto the school's property, my heart began to feel so heavy that I felt it drop at the sight of the waving American flag. It stood high in its perch within the sky, asserting its presence to all.

"Have a wonderful first day in school, honey," I heard my Momma say from the car. My hair from my high ponytail whipped my face from the speed my head whipped around to my mother. It licked my brown orbs, stinging them, breaching my eyes' limit further from withholding my tears.

"M-Momma, no!" I shrieked, feeling the waterworks in my eyes dribble down my cheeks to a plip, plop within the light navy blue uniform shirt my Momma forced me to wear.

Had Momma not cared? She was leaving me alone to fend for myself in this big, open new world, known as school.

"Hun, you'll do fine," she tried assuring me, crouching down my level so that we were able to see eye to eye. "Come, give Momma a hug."

Running into her arms, I allowed myself to be engulfed within her motherly essence. That natural tranquility that no other being could surpass. A natural feeling a mother gave to allow her child to feel how I felt at this moment. Safe and protected in my mother's arms.

"I love you, Momma," I wept, clinging to her as if my life had depended on it.

"I love you, too. Now, have fun at school. Your brother with be here to pick you up afterwards. And once you get home, you can tell me the greatest adventure you had here at school as we drink some hot chocolate! Sounds good?" she asked.

I nodded my head as she wiped away my tears.

"Good, now run along."

I wanted to die. Momma had left once I had made it into the center of the yard. If only she had stayed, she would have rescued me from the children who were now trampling over me.

"Watch it!"

"Move! You're in the way of our game."

"Get out of the way!"

Some even had chosen some foreign language that Daddy used whenever he was really angry with someone. Usually he'd speak this language in the car to another driver. But, Momma always scolded him to apologize to me.

"I-I'm s-sorry."

"Nerd!" An older kid boomed, shoving me down in the dusty ground, causing my glasses to fall off. The large boy soon bursted into laughter, as if messing with me was the funniest thing in the world.

"My glasses!" I gasped, frantically patting the ground for them, not able to see through the blur. I felt myself at the brink of tears, desperately trying hard not to cry as I searched. Until suddenly I heard a loud crunch.

My glasses.

"Look! She's crying cause we broke her poor little glasses," he cooed, causing the mass of children to hack even further in laughter. I clenched my eyes to stop the tears.