did he just save my life? 

Diego's POV

"Is that..." I whisper as we pull into the parking lot of the bar. 

"ooh hell no!" I yell while getting out of Steven's car. 

"get the fuck away from her Danny!" I yell. he was crouched down in front of Madeline. I grab him by the collar of his shirt and sling him down on the ground. 

"Diego stop!" Madeline screams as I draw my fist back to punch him in the face.

"why?? he just hurt you!" I yell. Steven gets out of his car and runs towards Madeline. 

"No! you dont understand! he just saved me!" she cries. me and steven both look at her confused. I look down at Danny who had fear written all over his face. 

" what do you mean?" I asked. 

"a guy...attacked me and-" 

"and what? Danny saved you? Bullshit!" I bring my attention down to Danny who looks terrified. not of me, but of the truth. I notice he had a new scar that was above his eye that he must've gotten while he was in jail. 

"Diego! why would I lie! Danny...saved! me!" she yells again. 

"this true?" I ask Danny. he nods quickly and looks at my fist that is still drawn back, ready to crash against his face. 

I relax and stand up on my feet. I put my hand out, letting Danny grab it to help himself up. 

"thanks, man.. I would've been here sooner but I didn't have my phone on me..."I shake his hand while awkwardly scratching the back of my neck. 

"no problem.. I thought it was Madeline when I passed by the first time but honestly I thought the guy was you but by the time I took a second glance, he already had her on the ground..so I pulled into the parking lot and helped as fast as I could," he says. 

"for real..man I owe you one," I say. 

"no you dont." he smiles while patting me on the shoulder. 

"Danny." I heard Madeline say. Danny and I both look at her. She had managed to get up on her crutches again. she looks at me then back at Danny. 

"come on Diego... let's go out to the car and clean out the back seat so yall can have somewhere to sit," Steven tells me.  

I look at Danny who pursed his lips and shoved his hands in his pockets. 

"hurry Madeline, please," I say before walking out to Stevens car. 

Madelines POV

"thank you..." I whisper while looking up at Danny who stood a few inches taller than me. 

"dont thank me. thank pizza hut. that's where I was going. I just left my friend's house and I was going to go pick up our pizza." he grins. i couldnt help but smile. 

"hey..thanks for dropping the charges...you really didn't have to do that, you know?" he looks down at me. 

I didn't know what to say so I just nodded my head. 

"well...you better get going... I hope you feel better soon...and-"I cut him off with a hug. 

"and have a wonderful wedding." he laughs as he wraps his arms around me. 

"go get your pizza." I laugh. 

I pull away and start heading towards the car. Diego was sitting in the backseat, waiting for me. 

"baby, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm so thankful he was there." Diego lets me lay my head on his shoulder in the backseat as steven starts heading towards the house. 

"I am too." I grab his hand and lace my fingers with his. 

"not to ruin the moment, but..does anyone else find it strange that Danny was literally released like an hour ago and he's already managed to find a way to get involved in Madelines life again?" Steven asks. 

"what are you talking about, just released?" I asked. 

"babe, do you know something I dont?" Diego whispers. 

"he told me he just left his friends house and that he was going to pizza hut," I say loud enough for Steven and Diego to both hear. 

"no, the website said he was just released. he had to have literally. just left the center." Steven looks at me through the rearview mirror. 

"so he lied to me?" I asked. 

"who cares about the pizza lie! how did he know where to find you..? and how did he know when to show up to save you..?" Diego asks. it sounded more like a question he was asking himself than asking me. 

Danny's POV

I pulled off on the side of the bridge that overviewed the lake. I made sure that no cars were coming when I got out of the car with my gun and bag of pictures. 

"fuck..." I exhaled while feeling stressed and confused. 

I took the gun and sat it on the ledge, along with a bunch of Polaroid pictures me and Madeline took one night we were drunk while Diego was on tour. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered to Madeline more than to myself. 

I dumped the bag of pictures into the water. 

I took the gun and unloaded all of the bullets. throwing the shells into the water first, then chucking the gun into the lake. 

"I want peace." I exhale as the stress I was feeling was also thrown into the lake along with every attachment to Madeline that I had. 

"may we meet again in a time you love me, as much as I loved you,"I whisper before getting back in my car and heading towards the California border, on my way to Arizona.  

please excuse any grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.