40: SAFE

A/N: Another cute and cuddly chapter because we can never have enough of those.

Louis, June 9th

Harry was nuzzling into Louis' chest.

"You make me feel so safe," Harry hummed.

"I'm just looking after you," was Louis' quiet response, "because I love you."

"He didn't look after me," the curly one sobbed. "He never did."

"Why are you thinking of him?"

"Because I used to think he was the love of my life," Harry breathed and tightened his arms around Louis' warm frame, which was bare as they were snuggling in bed. "But you are. Not him. It was never him. Always you."

Louis kissed his boyfriend's hair. "If it hadn't been for Zayn," he started while stroking his hand down Harry's arm, "you wouldn't ever even have to worry about being unsafe. He made you fear that."

"I know," Harry said. "But you're my shelter. So it's fine."

"Hey." Louis ruffled Harry's curls, which made him look up. "You shouldn't even be thinking about this. You're one hundred percent safe. And you know that. Right?"

"Yeah, I know. You're looking after me. Because you love me," Harry replied, and his eyes were glittering with tears. "And I love you. More than anything."

It was almost scary how I would wake up to see and feel something almost entirely identical to what I had just experienced in my dream.

Harry was breathing heavily into my chest while my arm was gently hooked around his waist.

It was also impressive how soft and heavenly he would look when he was slumbering against me with his floppy curls hanging down over his forehead. Like I'd usually do, since it never stopped being tempting, I ran my fingers through it. And then I kiss the skin underneath.

"You're so lovely," was the whisper that sipped from my puckering lips. "So, so lovely..."

"And l'm so awake..."

"Oh." My head perked up a bit. "Still lovely, though."

"You're a charmer." Finally, Harry removed his face from my chest in order to look at me, tiredly, through the narrow slits of his eyelids. "Do you always do that when I'm asleep?"

"Yep," I chirped, half-joking. And then I kissed his cheek where his dimple was carved.

It was such a contrast to see him go from almost breaking into tears in my dream, to smiling of joy in real life. It made me wonder whether there was a huge difference between the relationship we had in my subconscious compared to my conscious.

"Do I make you feel safe?" I asked him.

Harry wiped his eye tiredly. "What?"

My arms tightened around him. "What do you mean, what? It's an easy question," I mumbled.

But Harry's cheek were flushing. "I don't know why you would ask me that."

"Because I want to make sure," I answered. It was frightening that there seemed to be a part of Harry that I didn't know about. There was scenes from his past that I wasn't aware of, and if his secrets made him feel unsafe, then I wanted to change that. "I'm your boyfriend, and I look after you. And I hope you know that I'll always do my best to make you feel safe."

"You're being weird." Harry poked my tummy, which made me squirm. He laughed while still blushing wildly as he placed his cheek on my chest. "Sorry. You're making me feel fussy," he whispered.