VIII. (3) Games and Surprises

Chapter 8

His half-lidded emerald green eyes were focused on his youngest half-brother, who gave him the cold shoulder at his question.

Another voice then spoke from behind him. "Laito, move."

The nurse's heart skipped a beat. It was the other male that walked with her.

"Ayato too? Mou, you're both so cruel~" Laito feigned a disappointed sigh, removing himself from the door to move aside.

Ayato entered the room, an unconscious Yui in his arms. He cocked his head at the nurse, his red bangs swayed to brush his cheeks as he pierced her with his intimidating gaze. "Oi, woman. Fix her."

______________________________________________________

Subaru raised a brow. "What the hell? 'Fix her'? She's not some sort of object."

"Fufufu, and don't address her so rudely~ Let's see..." Laito paused briefly to examine her name tag. "Doctor Himeko, is it?"

Himeko's blush deepened as she timidly clarified her name.

"Could you fi—tend to her wounds?" Laito asked, still wearing his usual smirk. "She fainted during class, and we wouldn't want her condition to worsen. After all, it would be quite a hassle to deal with~"

"...Place her on the bed please," she said to Ayato, despite not meeting his eyes. The redhead grunted, grudgingly complying. She continued, "Does she have any symptoms that need to be made aware of? Any allergies? Any daily dose that is required for her to take? Sickness?"

"Nope, I don't think so~" Laito responded almost immediately. "She probably lacks sleep though, and her body normally is quite frail. Oh, she also tends to have a weak heart, so she gets scared easily~"

Ayato smirked and walked towards them. "Heh. True. Especially the last part." He then stopped where Subaru stood and peered at him. "The hell's with your deal? You're blushing like crazy and you're creepily less rude than usual. Normally, your ass would have already been out of here by now."

"Ayato's right. You tend to hate these places. Perhaps dear little Subaru is waiting for a hot nurse~?" Laito gave Himeko a wink.

Himeko blushed.

"I would kill you if I hadn't been treated." Subaru diverted his glare from his half-brothers as they tried to invade his personal bubble and focused on the nurse. "Doctor...Himeko. Are you the only nurse on duty today?"

Himeko blinked. "Yes, I believe so, why?"

"J-Just asking..." Subaru turned his head slightly to glare at the bed, where Guinevere last sat. 'Tch! Damn that woman. She must have sneaked her freaking way in here out of boredom. Reiji would nag her for hours if he knew.'

He snapped out of his thoughts when he sensed two pairs of eyes intensely fixated on him. "...What?"

"Ehh? Is Subaru actually paying attention to girls now?" asked Laito. He feigned a sniffle. "Ahh...to realised that you're taking the next step into adulthood, your older brother couldn't be prouder~"

Ayato stared for a moment longer before he spoke. "Seriously, the fuck is wrong with you toda—what smell is that?"

Laito tilted his head in question and leaned in quickly before Subaru backed away. His eyes widened, and he and Ayato exchanged knowing looks.

"That scent...what the—that can't be possible! No way Guinevere would be here..." Ayato stated bewilderedly.

"But...if it were the morning, her scent would have already faded away...fufufu, Subaru..." Laito lifted his head, the shadows from his bangs vanishing to uncover cold, green eyes. "...was Guinevere here?"