XVIII. Slumber

A/N: Look, jazz music~ 

Chapter 18

The passing dark painted sky and the black coated trees were replaced with lights that twinkled behind the glass window. The surroundings came to life with the noise of traffic and muffled chatter, drowning the stillness and soothing rumbles of the limousine.

"Do you enjoy the city?"

Yui tore her gaze from the world outside to stare at the elegant, inky-haired woman. Her eyes glittered, matching the colourful lights of the city behind her.

"Yes," she responded with a smile. "It's very pretty."

Guinevere hummed in agreement before cocking her head, slightly breaking her perfect posture by sinking onto the red velvet seat. She opened her eyes upon hearing her name, and slid her attention to the human in front of her.

Yui was fiddling with her rosy pink shorts as she spoke. "N-not that I don't mind, but why are we eating breakfast outside? We could have had it in the mansion, like most days, a-and the brothers tend to be strict when it comes to leaving the mansion..."

"They will not mind if you're going out with me," said Guinevere. "As for your question, it's a good chance to relax, is it not? After all, the mansion can be quite suffocating at times, especially for a human such as yourself. Dealing with other predatorial races can be overwhelming."

"Yes..."

"My, have I dampened the mood? I apologise, I did not mean to."

Yui shook her head, her hands waving frantically in front of her. "No, it's fine! You were merely answering my doubts in a truthful manner. Thank you."

Guinevere returned her smile just as the limousine came to a stop. They both stepped outside, and was faced with a small but extravagant restaurant. Vines curled stylishly around the pillars before running across the roof made of wooden planks, covering the spacious gaps in between with luscious green. The potted plants hung below them by silver chains, and the greenery altogether created a pure, natural appearance.

The doorbell slightly rang as the two females entered, their shoes thudding lightly against the spotless, brown wooden floor. The restaurant was perfectly lit by lanterns and candles. Gentle jazz music drifted in the background, blending with the soft chattering.

"Do you...enjoy eating human food?" Yui asked after they selected their order.

"Yes, some of it," said Guinevere, lightly drumming her manicured nails on the table's glass. "I do enjoy chocolate. Bread is not too bad either, especially ones such as brioche."

Yui smiled. "I like them as well."

Guinevere bit on croissant, her expression blissful as the chocolate oozed from the soft, buttery texture of the croissant before entering her mouth.

"Ah... This are good~" she slightly chirped.

Yui giggled. "I thought you would like it."

"Strangely, I enjoy the bitterness of latte." Guinevere took another sip before gazing at the sprinkle of cocoa powder swirling among whiteness, mixing with the tender brownness inside the cup. "Shame. The design they made was dazzling. It almost tempted me to leave the drink untouched."

She then peered at Yui's drink. Her eyes widened. "Marshmallows?"

Yui nodded, holding the cup towards her. "It's hot chocolate with marshmallows."