XII. Victims and Conquerers

Chapter 12

Cordelia narrowed her eyes at her sister's response before flickering them towards the twelve-year-old girl who just joined them, standing at her mother's side. The girl's breathtaking beauty, along with her etiquette behaviour and honeyed tongue, were clearly inherited by her flawless mother beside her.

"Good morning, Aunt Cordelia," the young niece greeted courteously. A small smile adorned her face, and if a second of attention was wasted, one would not notice that it was strained.

After pursing her lips, Cordelia gave a curt acknowledgement. "Guinevere."

_________________________________________________________

Yui peeked through the large arc window and watched as the scene in front of her unfolded. Cordelia was sitting on an elegant tea table inside the mansion with her half-sister, while her niece—who Yui found out was Guinevere—was nowhere to be seen. Although their voices weren't raised, Yui could somehow hear them clearly, despite the glass windows, well-built walls and howling winds that rustled the leaves.

"Sister, would you like to hear my little songbird?" Cordelia was asking, placing her teacup down with a soft clink as it touched the plate.

Her sister narrowed her eyes, but reluctantly agreed on the offer. After a moment, a butler appeared with Kanato by his side.

"Kanato, my songbird, sing to me." Despite her red lips curving upwards, Cordelia's eyes were cold as they gazed at her son, as if daring him to disappoint her.

Kanato was hesitant before letting out a small nod. His mouth parted to reveal a light, melodic voice thick with sweetness.

The sister closed her eyes, a blissful expression adorning her face as she rested her head atop her laced fingers, elbows propped on the table. Less than a minute has passed when his voice started to waver, appearing smaller and weakened. The sister immediately noticed the change and opened her eyes, deciding to stop his singing by applauding softly.

"Scarborough Fair, was it? That song compliments your voice finely. Your tone was very enchanting, even if it was for a brief moment," she praised. "It was simply lovely as it soothed my ears."

Kanato blushed lightly at the rare compliment.

"Then why did you stop, nee-san?" Cordelia asked, tone displeased.

Her sister raised a brow. "Are you growing deaf, Cordelia? His voice clearly needs rest—"

Kanato interrupted them, breaking into a coughing fit.

"Kanato? What is the matter?" The sister immediately stood up, eyebrows furrowed in deep concern. She immediately rushed to his side, supporting him as he fell to his knees.

Cordelia's smile was frozen on her face. She slowly stood up, eyes steeled into a glare as she sent cold daggers in her son's way. Kanato gulped, and opened his mouth to sing once more. But his attempt was futile.

"Kanato?" the sister asked. "Is everything alright?"

Kanato clutched his throat, and his mouth moved once again, but still nothing was heard. Coughs shook his petite body before he uncovered his hand from his mouth. He blanched upon seeing his own blood.

The sister's eyes widened. She summoned a butler, her voice rushed. "This is urgent. Call the best doctor here, and preferably not a human one, please."