Fortune Cookies

Take out Chinese is amazing; however eating with chopsticks is a bit tricky. I have never used chopsticks to eat with in fact I have never ate Chinese food period. I keep trying to pick up the chicken with the sticks but it keeps slipping and falling either back into the plate or off to the side.

Hayden has no trouble using them and happens to find it amusing that I am having such a difficult time. Mr. Shaw hands me a fork and says that might be a little easier, ha-ha. Which is so true, I have no problem holding a fork. I can't  help but giggle on the inside about it.

After eating, there were these little cookies that have fortunes inside. Apparently you break the cookie, read the piece of paper and it tells you your fortune. Mrs. Shaw says that we should read them aloud one at a time to see what everyone got.

Mr. Shaw read his first, "Do not mistake temptation for opportunity."

Mrs. Shaw goes next and reads aloud, "It is a good day to have a good day. Well that's for sure it is what you make of it, right. Hayden what does yours say?"

"Mine says," he read it to himself and then smirks, "uh, it says 'your life will be filled with magical moments'. I wonder what that could be and who will help fill those magical moments." He glances over my way, but doesn't say anything else.

I look down at mine again and read it to myself for the third time. Mrs. Shaw asks, "Well, come on read it out loud Star we want to know what it says too."

"So what does it say?" askes Hayden when I read it over again to myself.

"Well it says, 'Conquer your fears or they will conquer you." I let the little slip of paper flutter down to the table. It made me wonder if these fortunes were specifically made for you and if so how did that work. Like what are the odds of the one that you get and how peculiar it is that it actually means something to you.

Hayden looks my way and makes eye contact with a shrug of his shoulders. He knew what the fortune was telling me and I did too. I was going to have to tell my story to someone, not just bits and pieces, but the whole story. I will have to get it out and into the open before it did kill me.

The thing is, I just don't know how and quite frankly I would rather not remember any of it. I want to put all the memories in a box with a lock and bury it as deep as possible so no one would ever have to know anything.

Tonight's game is Monopoly. While Mr. Shaw sets up the game with all the money. I excuse myself to the bathroom. I guess I was in there a little longer than normal, because there's a knock on the door and then I hear Hayden's charming voice.

"Did you fall in?" He laughes.

"Wait a second, I'll be right there," I yell back.

I get up from the floor, and look in the mirror. My make-up was smeared some beneath my eyes, so I take some tissue off the roll and dap my face, trying to look a little more presentable. I wait a few more minutes while trying to get my eyes to clear and not be so red from crying. I also hoped that Hayden was already back down in the family room.

When I open the door, Hayden is leaning against the wall. Our eyes met and he whispers, "You sure you are o.k."

"I'll be fine, just demons invading my mind." I walk past him and then down the stairs.

Before entering the family room he reaches out for my arm. I flinch yet again but not as bad this time. "I'm here if you want to talk. I can keep secrets and won't tell a soul. Or if not me, I can get Mr. Harvey to talk with you; he really helped me when I needed someone."

I look down at the floor and don't say anything. I turn and continue to walk into the family room. I'm afraid to talk and if I tell him would he hate me? Would he still look at me the same way? And there was no way in hell that I would talk to any man; even he was a doctor, nope, no way in hell.

We play Monopoly for a good two hours. Mr. Shaw is the top-hat. Mrs. Shaw choses the thimble. Hayden of course picks the car, so I pick the little dog.

Mr. Shaw quickly buys practically everything and even has hotels on his properties. I am out of the game in no time but since it was a requirement that we all participate, so I sit back and watch the three of them play. While playing they talk about their day. I pretend to be paying attention and laugh when they do. Mr. Shaw of course ends up winning so he ger to pick out the movie tonight. Daredevil!

Mr. Shaw is into all movies with super heroes. I wasn't really planning on getting into the movie but I did. It was actually a good movie. By the time it's  over, I am so ready to go to sleep. Well alright to be honest I just wanted to be alone in my own little world, in my space away from everyone.

I tell everyone good night and go up to my room. I change into my pj's and comb out my hair. Then I open the window and climb out. I ease my way down and lay with my back against the roof and stare up at the stars. There are a few clouds out, but I can still see several stars twinkling in the night sky.

It feels good to be alone with the cool wind blowing against my skin. Of course that doesn't last long. I hear him when he pushes his window up. I hear his foot-steps come over closer to me even though he was trying to be really quiet. I look over when he eases down beside me. This time I did not flinch at all when he reaches out for my hand. I guess I had a feeling he was going to and in a way I was kinda wishing that he did.

__________________________________________________________

Sorry short chapter. Hope you are enjoying the story. I would love to hear feedback, what do you think of the characters? Do you think Star and Hayden should be together?

She will tell her story when she is ready, I promise.