chapter 3

I tap my pencil against the desk in boredom,  Mrs. Wilson was going on about something but I wasn't listening. I was watching the clock on the wall.

A note gets passed to me probably about Mrs. Wilsons new hair do, it made her look like a poodle. I pass it to the girl next to me not even bothering to read it, she tries suppressing a giggle but is unsuccessful.

"Miss Philips, is there a pro-?" Mrs. Wilson starts but is cut off by the bell signaling the end of the day.

I jump up and run out the door and quickly run into someone, knocking us both to the ground.

"Oh I- I'm so sorry." He apologizes and stands up offering to help me up.

"No, it's fine. I'm just to blame as you are." I take his hand, and dust my jeans off.

"Y/n? Right?" He asks shyly.

"Yeah, your name is- wait don't tell me! Ponyboy right?"

"Yeah how'd you know?" He looks surprised.

"We have the same math teacher,  Mr Lewis." I say matter of factly.

"Well I didn't think-"

"That I would notice you because I'm a Soc?" I say giggling.

"No! Th-thats not what I meant!" He says quickly flushing red.

"No its okay kid, I know what you meant." I assure him.

He lets out a sigh of relief. "you dig okay, Y/n."

"You dig okay too Ponyboy."

We walk to the front steps of the school talking. Once I got to know him a little, he opened up right away.

"We should hang out sometime." I smile.

"Wanna go to my house? My brothers won't mind." He rubs the back of his neck.

"Sure."

We start walking down the street towards his house, kicking a rock to eachother.

"Just gonna warn you now, we hang out with a few other guys who can be a little... much." He emphasizes the word much.

I nod, I knew what he meant.

"Here it is." He stops outside a small house, with a rusty gate out front.

"It's nice." I smile.

He leads me up the path to his front door.

"Hey I'm home!" He calls in, "I have a friend over!"

He holds the door open for me and leads me to the living room. There he is, Dallas, my heart flutters at the sight of him. I can feel the heat creeping up my neck.

Why did I feel this way? It's not like I like him. Right?