Chapter 125: Reunion

Start from the beginning

She went off, sweeping her tail from side to side as she peeked everywhere. She was having a telepathic conversation with some people right now, disappearing for a while as I paced in one spot. My tail was carving into the ground; it had been doing so for the last few weeks I'd been in this form. It was awfully inconvenient that I had it like this, because the tail was so sharp that no matter what it touched something got ruined. Some people can put knives to their skin so lightly that it doesn't cut, but even if you just lightly touched the edge of my tail, or even the flat and dull-looking part of it, it left you jumping back in pain from the mere touch of it. It was all sharp, all bad.

     So yes, the marks of me being here were quite stark against the floors.

     When Sherfire came back, she pulled me up in her front claw and took off from the caves. I had put the letter in my storage so that it wouldn't fly off, and we plummeted at top speeds that no longer made me queasy from the times my own wings unable to keep me aloft. After swooping out of it and greeting some of the people sparring below for fun, we flew south high in the sky, drifting a few hundred feet below the clouds as the sun beat down on Sherfire's back, making the scales be too blinding to look at as the light bathed us. I was lost beneath her mass, hidden in shade. It was quite nice, just resting limply there and feeling the tremendous whoosh of wind on my face. I opened my mouth and felt the wind swirl around my teeth, my snakelike tongue flapping back in the gusts. It felt like I was being swept away in a tornado sometimes, until I had to spit up some bug or the world's smallest Dragon species that had accidentally flown into my mouth.

     Somehow, I got more Dragons the size of birds than bugs.

     So in the end I had to give up my wind-and-mouth adventures.

     We eventually arrived at the same teleportation circle that I had gone to with Katerine, activating it and ending up in a different place than last time. When we came through on the other end, we were in a small village in Hunoa, the land of the Fae. This wasn't the passage anymore, I could tell, because I could no longer smell that faint whiff of sea that was present no matter where in the passage you were. This place wasn't as crowded or bustling as the capital, but gave off more of a homely feel. The people were familiarly talking with each other, bargaining and haggling with sales while making small talk, greeting everyone they knew; which was literally everyone.

     Sherfire transformed back into a human again, me under her arm with my tail cautiously held in her other hand, as we walked towards a building. It was one red barn looking thing with shutters on the windows, faded gold wings signaling express mail over a barred window. I guess this modest town had more than a few crooks if they boarded it up like that. Or, bandits. Haven't seen many of those around here, and for some reason I couldn't imagine fairy bandits.

     She knocked on the wood beside it, getting the attention of whoever was inside.

     "Can I help you?" A person came while rolling up the shutters all the way.

     "I'd like to send an envelope to Bytriste," Sherfire said, probably looking like this was a robbery while holding my sharp tail of a weapon in her hand, and me with my two little fangs protruding from the back sides in the other. "What region?" She looked down at me, asking.

     "Koraco, the house of the Duke Coccinelle," I said while looking deeply into the eyes of the woman, about forty, who was looking at me with wide eyes. She looked human to me, a bit older. I could tell that it was an unusual sight for a baby Dragon to be here, because all eyes were on me even though Sherfire and I were both Dragons.

     "Koraco, a noble house."

     "It'll take about one month, and there's a fee of two yeuzes," she said while looking into my eyes. She couldn't look away.